My turn

love the band name

Listening to 49 years - that main guitar riff is cool - is that a reverse something effect on it? In the first chorus, it's kind of competing with the main vocal in a way that makes the lyrics hard for me to hear. I expected the same thing to happen the second chorus, but for some reason it didn't, and I could hear the rest pretty well. The guitar solo could maybe come up, or perhaps the rhythm riff down a little. Cool song!

49 Years - chorus is great. There's a lot of things I'd do different, but nothing here is done poorly. Drums may be squished into the center too much (?). If there was a little more room in the middle you could bring the vocals down a little so they fit better, as they are now they're very dominant.

Shoulda is fun, like the lyrics. I can relate - after college I floundered and then ended up in a trade. I'm happy now. STILL paying off the student loans. ;) From a mix standpoint, it's basically a mono mix, which is fine if that's the point (retro).

Sorry man, I do not like these mixes. They're a mess. Aren't you a drummer? Who mixed these? You're either a drummer that mixed himself out of the mix, or someone else did not do you guys any favors.

Greg, try listening to these as late '60s era rock mixes. ;) Additionally, Soundcloud isn't doing the mix quality any favors...

I guess as someone whose done retro sounding mixes on purpose in the past I get this. I can certainly understand why others may not enjoy them, especially when comparing them to a modern mix or other mixes on the forum.

Greg, try listening to these as late '60s era rock mixes. ;) Additionally, Soundcloud isn't doing the mix quality any favors...

I guess as someone whose done retro sounding mixes on purpose in the past I get this. I can certainly understand why others may not enjoy them, especially when comparing them to a modern mix or other mixes on the forum.

I listen to old music all the time. It's not that I'm comparing to modern rock mixes. I can easily accept a distinction in style. I just think fundamentally they're not very good mixes, be them old style, new style, or any style. The reverb is thick and messy. The drums are small and weak. Guitars come jumping in and out of the pan-o-sphere. The low end is mushy and muddy. They're just not good mixes to me. I shouldn't have to put on a listening hat to convince myself that they're supposed to fit a certain style. I can listen to late 60s rock mixes and happily bop along without having to remind myself "hey these are from the 60s!" They just sound better because they are better.

I understand Greg, what I'm thinking is that mixing is as much style as it is technical ability. The style in which this artist has chosen is looser than most, but it's there. I can hear it when listening to both tracks. When 'Shoulda' first started I was thinking it was really bad, but as the song went along and I thought back to the 49 track, it all made sense. I've actually returned a couple times to listen to these. 49 is a good song!

It sounds like this person's approach to sound rubs you the wrong way(?). I'd hardly call it a mess (I reserve that grade for mixes and performances that are at the absolutely bottom of the barrel). Definitely could use some massaging, and if looking to have these standup to modern standards then I absolutely agree. That doesn't seem to be the intent here though.

My point in challenging you on the feedback you left was to hopefully generate more specifics, which at least you added in your second reply. :) I know you mean well! Or do well at being mean.... :p

I listened to 49 Years. Performed well - no performance issues that I heard.

If it were me I'd rethink the reverb you used all around. To me it doesn't enhance the mix. It makes the vocal more difficult to discern - particularly in the chorus. The BGV's in the outro are barely audible.

The drums, particularly the snare, are rather weak. The snare is thin - I'd like more power to it.

I'd double track the main rhythm guitar. I'd like a bit more high-midrange to the tone. It's got a low end problem - muddy and rumbly. Probably turn up the gain just a bit more too.

Bass sounds fine. I think you could turn it up a bit.

I love the band name.

I understand Greg, what I'm thinking is that mixing is as much style as it is technical ability. The style in which this artist has chosen is looser than most, but it's there. I can hear it when listening to both tracks. When 'Shoulda' first started I was thinking it was really bad, but as the song went along and I thought back to the 49 track, it all made sense. I've actually returned a couple times to listen to these. 49 is a good song!

It sounds like this person's approach to sound rubs you the wrong way(?). I'd hardly call it a mess (I reserve that grade for mixes and performances that are at the absolutely bottom of the barrel). Definitely could use some massaging, and if looking to have these standup to modern standards then I absolutely agree. That doesn't seem to be the intent here though.

My point in challenging you on the feedback you left was to hopefully generate more specifics, which at least you added in your second reply. :) I know you mean well! Or do well at being mean.... :p

I don't hear these mixes as "mixing style" as much as I hear them as plain ol bad mixes. The way I hear it, both mixes sound bad because the mixer is in a bad mixing environment or just doesn't have experienced ears. I'm not chalking it up to style. What would this "mixing style" be anyway? Muddy unbalanced slush with too much reverb? Is that a style? I guess it is because there are a lot of mixes like that in here. Lol. If the poster meant for these to sound that way, then more power to him. He nailed it. Opinions are like assholes and all that, but I assume he put them up for mix opinions. He can take mine or leave it. I'm fine either way. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just not going to sugarcoat anything. I assume the poster is a grown man and can handle it. I personally don't care what the mix intent is. I think intent is transparent if it sounds good. I can listen to mono rockabilly with no kick drum or surf music dripping with reverb. The Cramps didn't even use bass guitar on their early work. Sounds awesome to me. If the mix is good you don't even notice those things. Unfortunately, all I notice is bad things with these mixes. On the bright side, it's nothing that can't be fixed if the poster chooses to do so.

Hey - I wouldn't use Greg's wording (cause he is Greg and I am me), but I agree with his assessment. I have commented bongos mixes at least twice over the last two years. I gave basically the same feedback last time.

That 49 Years has a seriously interesting chorus melody.

So does that mean that you're 49 years old? No wonder you love the retro feel. Perhaps it's not retro at all from your point of view.

I think a song complaining about modern life SHOULD have a retro feel like this. Mixing it up all modern and pop might be kind of contradictory. And while I disagree with your message, I couldn't help but groove along.

Was that a sort of ironically-exaggerated angry tone I heard in your voice? It was adorable, like a toddler throwing a fit and sticking his lower lip out. Like playful anger. I like it very much, it fit with the lyrics perfectly.

I very much so like the stop-and-go rhythm of the electric guitar.

JJ.

I don't hear these mixes as "mixing style" as much as I hear them as plain ol bad mixes. The way I hear it, both mixes sound bad because the mixer is in a bad mixing environment or just doesn't have experienced ears. I'm not chalking it up to style. What would this "mixing style" be anyway? Muddy unbalanced slush with too much reverb? Is that a style? I guess it is because there are a lot of mixes like that in here. Lol. If the poster meant for these to sound that way, then more power to him. He nailed it. Opinions are like assholes and all that, but I assume he put them up for mix opinions. He can take mine or leave it. I'm fine either way. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just not going to sugarcoat anything. I assume the poster is a grown man and can handle it. I personally don't care what the mix intent is. I think intent is transparent if it sounds good. I can listen to mono rockabilly with no kick drum or surf music dripping with reverb. The Cramps didn't even use bass guitar on their early work. Sounds awesome to me. If the mix is good you don't even notice those things. Unfortunately, all I notice is bad things with these mixes. On the bright side, it's nothing that can't be fixed if the poster chooses to do so.

I think part of the reason I'm thinking style and like the mixes is because they're not polished. It would detract from the probing and sarcastic lyrics. I hear a lot of indie in this. Indie can't be indie if it sounds any good. More recent examples of that lowfi sound... Fugazi, Black Flag, Husker Du, Violent Femmes, and some earlier Beck... well made music with mixes teetering on the edge of mediocrity.

Anyway, to each their own. I'm sure debating this is entertaining to some passerby.

I think part of the reason I'm thinking style and like the mixes is because they're not polished. It would detract from the probing and sarcastic lyrics. I hear a lot of indie in this. Indie can't be indie if it sounds any good. More recent examples of that lowfi sound... Fugazi, Black Flag, Husker Du, Violent Femmes, and some earlier Beck... well made music with mixes teetering on the edge of mediocrity.

Anyway, to each their own. I'm sure debating this is entertaining to some passerby.

NOFX uses probing sarcastic lyrics, and their productions are fantastic, so equating content to a mix style doesn't hold water. And if this guy's lyrics are so awesome and witty, why hide them under a veil of reverb muck and bad EQ? Bringing up those bands you named is silly and irrelevant. These guys are no Black Flag or Husker Du. Are you insane? Lol. They're stylistically not even in the same universe. Just because something is hardcore punk rock doesn't mean it has to sound bad. Bands like Black Flag and Fugazi sound bad because THEY ARE bad and even still I bet they'd opt for better recordings if they had the means to do so as dumb punk rock kids in the early 80s. And never in a thousand years would I consider this music hardcore anti-establishment anything or alternative art rock that needs to be mixed to a "style". This is just adult pop rock music to me. And just because something sounds bad doesn't mean that it was cleverly designed that way. Low-Fi is mostly a safety net catchphrase for shit mixes. Most bad mixes sound bad because they are bad. There's no artistic statement. It's just bad mixing. I get what you're saying, but I don't buy it here. These are just bad mixes.

Is it the mixing or is it just a shit recording that would sound crappy no matter how it was mixed? They sound like they are doing the best they can with what they have. It just happens to be kind of crappy stuff. Lots of old stuff that sounds shitty still sounds better and tighter than this. I'm not trying to being insulting, but if it were me I would work on my playing and song writing so even though it sounds like shit people would still be able to hear that some real effort went into it.

This is a hobby. I write a song. I record a song. I mix a song. I try to learn along the way. If you consider them bad, so be it. I'm not going to jump in front of a bus. I truly do appreciate your feedback, and all the feedback I've received. But although the mixes do need a lot work, I feel they basically work for the song.

This is a hobby. I write a song. I record a song. I mix a song. I try to learn along the way. If you consider them bad, so be it. I'm not going to jump in front of a bus. I truly do appreciate your feedback, and all the feedback I've received. But although the mixes do need a lot work, I feel they basically work for the song.

Well there you have it. A mix - no pun intended - of just bad mixing and being okay with it. No problem.

Yeah man, keep on trucking. You'll get better as you go. Read, experiment and practice A LOT :D

Back