My Tascam 42B

analogkid

I Bleed Analog!
Ok, so I have had this deck for a few years now, and got it calibrated pretty well; everything works except for a lamp out on the right meter. One thing that is off is that there is just the slightest hint of a wobble on the left spindle - you can't hear anything off but it bugs me. Am I correct in assuming that if I loosen the set screws the hold the reel table on this can be corrected? The spindle shaft is not bent in any way.

AK

AK are you saying that the reel table isn't rotating flat (like a record would be if you stuck something under one edge of it), or that the reel table is rotating out of round (like its not centered) or that the reel lock (clamper, hold-down, etc.) is rotating out of round?

ummmm - the reel lock seems to be slightly off I guess, not the table itself. Maybe I should look closer!

The reel locks are quick-release on your 42 right (i.e. pull the trident spindle out, twist 60 degrees, let it go and the reel lock slides off to accommodate 7" reels)?

Is the trident spindle bent?

Ok it appears that the culprit is the reel lock on the left side. The reel table is not wobbling at all.

AK

So is the reel lock cracked or something?

Just a question...my BR-20 uses the same reel locks as the 42 (I believe) and there are metal shims that lock on to the back side of the reel lock when using standard 3-screw reels...if you are using the thicker 6-screw precision reels then the shims come off. I'm wondering if you are using an un-shimmed reel lock with a 3-screw reel. In that case the spring-loaded trident spindle doesn't hold the reel lock to the reel table very well and the whole thing is kind of floppy. Here's a picture of the shim:

IMG_2825_4_1.JPG

IMG_2824_3_1.JPG

no, not the hub adaptor Cory lol. I'm talking about the actual shaft that holds the hub adaptor or the 7" reel. Looks like the shaft itself is straight, but the locking portion is slightly 'warped' - one sec I will attempt photography.

Attachments

• S7300942.jpg
    S7300942.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 83
Ohhhhkay...so you are saying the the trident spindle is tweakered? I, uh, can't tell from the picture... :o:p

Whatever you do, if you attempt to tweaker it back into place, I suggest doing it with the reel table removed from the hub...those motor shafts are surprisingly susceptible to being bent...ANY 1/4" shaft...I'm not picking on Tascam.

Yeah I know better than to try to 'tweak' it while assembled. It doesn't seem to affect the reel rotation at all; it is just annoying to look at when the deck is running lol.

AK

No worries - that part will unscrew all the way out of the shaft, and ther eis indeed a very slight bend. I does NOT affect the reel or the tape path at all fortunately - going to contact TASCAM and see if they have replacement parts for not too much. Oddly while they no longer have parts for many models they seem to still have spares for the 42B.

AK

Ok so I noticed on fast wind that the right hub was still wobbly - pulled the whole thing off by removing the top dress panel (that's what you call it right?) and the removed the three phillips head screws. I pulled the hub itself - careful not to mess up the brake band - and everything appeared to be straight etc inside. I put the hub back in place - wish I had been smart enough to take pictures - and fiddled with it for a few minutes to get the screw holes lines up. After carefully tightening the screws, I put the dress panel back on and wound a tape - voila! It isn't absolutely perfect, but only a very slight wobble. Now of course I notice just a teeny wobble from the left hub. Nothing major, and nothing liek I was seeing before.
I also noticed that the brake solenoids were NOT gummy - and in fact the unit was exceptionally clean inside. I'm thinking this deck was never used much.

AK

Back