My take on "Wonderwall" by Oasis

BJW

Back into recording mode, and I finished up a version of "Wonderwall".

Check it out: http://brianwahlband.com/index.php?/Acoustic-Sessions/wonderwall-oasis-audio.html

direct file link:

Of course, comments, compliments, and criticism appreciated!

Thanks for listening.

music_banner.jpg

sounds like there are some timing issues, especially at the beginning. It's also pretty obvious that the drums are fake. Mostly because there is a pretty stark contrast between the drums and the guitars/vocals. Drums are stereo, sounds like nothing else is. That and it sounds like you recorded the acoustic guitars direct.

That said, I like the arrangement better than the original, but I thought the original was way too cluttered and loud.

sounds like there are some timing issues, especially at the beginning. It's also pretty obvious that the drums are fake. Mostly because there is a pretty stark contrast between the drums and the guitars/vocals. Drums are stereo, sounds like nothing else is. That and it sounds like you recorded the acoustic guitars direct.

That said, I like the arrangement better than the original, but I thought the original was way too cluttered and loud.
I can't add anything to what boz said. Other than I hate it when I go somewhere and some idiot is trying to sing this thing karaoke and he's drunk off his ass and sounds like cats fighting in a bag.
At least you can sing. Why not forego the covers and do your own stuff?

Thanks for listening!

Yep - drums are loops.

For acoustic, I did record direct, but I also did a stereo x/y recording with a pair of MXL 603s's, and blended the signals. Should be in stereo.

The drums are loops, but not "fake". They are actual recordings of real drums. I used "Drums on Demand". But yeah, they're still loops. I don't exactly have to capabilities to record drums, though I do know and play with an awesome drummer.

I can't add anything to what boz said. Other than I hate it when I go somewhere and some idiot is trying to sing this thing karaoke and he's drunk off his ass and sounds like cats fighting in a bag.
At least you can sing. Why not forego the covers and do your own stuff?

I will do my own stuff. I'm just doing a mix of stuff, and I've been playing covers a lot lately. I'm also trying to record some stuff to put on a demo CD so I can hand it out to local venues.

Thanks for listening, and for the compliment.

I use sampled drums myself, and I call those fake. The hardest part I have when using sampled drums is not that they sound fake, it's that they sound much better than the rest of the instruments because they were actually recorded in a studio, when my guitars are recorded in my living room with a refrigerator running in the background and kids crying. Sometimes you need to dumb the drums down to match the rest of the song.

I use sampled drums myself, and I call those fake. The hardest part I have when using sampled drums is not that they sound fake, it's that they sound much better than the rest of the instruments because they were actually recorded in a studio, when my guitars are recorded in my living room with a refrigerator running in the background and kids crying. Sometimes you need to dumb the drums down to match the rest of the song.

Ha - true. For me its more like recording in the office with the neighbor mowing his yard right next door and dogs barking in the background.

I'll see if I can't get them to match a bit. Thanks for the advice.

It sounds to me like you put the drums down after recording the guitar to a click? I only use sampled drums aswell and find them to be the most annoying part of recording but I try and get the drums close to what I want before tracking guitars etc. and then try keep everything as tight to the drums as possible.....fail...delete, and start on something else.

Just listening again - The vocal is savage! Very Noel. Almost identical in some lines. Good work.

I think what Boz meant is that, even if the guitar was recorded in stereo, it sounds as though it's pretty much panned right down the middle, or close to it. The only thing you're really hearing on the sides of the mix is the occasional tom. Everything seems a little crowded in the middle.

Drums are definitely the biggest problem (other than the intro timing).
I think there's maybe too much reverb on them - is that on the sample, or added in the recoridng process?
Either way, they don't fit and are distracting from an otherwise excellent vocal and guitar(s-just got to the outro!)
Cheers,
-Rich

It could be my crappy speakers I'm stuck with here at work, but...

I really like the vocals (very Noel, as one other person said), but they seem too loud compared to everything else. Again, it could just be my cheap speakers on the work computer.

And I agree with everyone about the drums.

To fix the "Mono Guitar" problem. Instead of blending your 2 mics, pan one left some and the other right some. Doesn't even have to be hard panned...Experiment with panning levels and volume levels (on all 3 tracks) until you find the right amount of space.

Excellent job on the performance! I really dig your voice.

OK, I spread the guitars a bit so they're not competing so much with the vocals. Also put the drums down a bit in the mix.

New version just replaced the old version, so links are the same.

Thanks for all the input/compliments!

Back