My synth on the fritz...any ideas?

Synth2k

Greetings everyone.

Recently I picked up a used synth from a guy (around last November), but its now gone on the fritz and I was wondering if any of you have ever encountered similar problems and what you did to remedy them.

Here is the situation: The synth is a Wersi Pegasus keyboard (German made, similar to the Yamaha VL synths but with substantially more power). To make a long story short, 2 weeks after I got it home, I turn it on one day and to my surprise it makes an odd hight-pitched sound (that sounded almost like "whirrrrttt"). I have verified that this sound is NOT coming from any of the audio channels, so it must be an internal component. The touch screen on the board also doesn't show up, like the synth isn't booting up (sometimes there is just weird garbage on the screen). Additionally, the buttons on the synth itself remain lit and pressing any of them does nothing (the lights still stay on). I had also noticed that the lights will slowly fade out, if the keyboard is left on. Obviously there is still power going to everything I'm assuming as the lights are on, but other than that the synth is completely dead. BTW, for what its worth, that "Whirrrrrrt" sound only seems to appear once I turn the synth on after its been sitting for more than 10 or 15 minutes. For example, if I turn it on, I'll get the "Whirrrrtt" high pitched noise. If I turn it off and then on again, I do not get the noise. Has anyone got any ideas?

My option is to send it to a Wersi dealer in Lancaster, PA to have it looked at and hopefully fixed, but there's no saying how much that will run me. If it sounds like it's something simple I would consider taking it in to a local shop here (I haven't yet), but due to the lack of schematic detail for this synth and not to mention that it is quite a rare board, I'm afraid that it'll get mucked up even more.

Thanks in advance to those who have any ideas. It has to be one of the most sinking feelings when you've unloaded a chunk of change on something that you can't return only to have it die a week after you get it home. :(

Ryan.

I don't know where you live, but sometimes it is possible to find a music store or electronics repair shop in your area that does repairs on such items. Where I live there is a place where the local music stores send their stuff about three hours away. Next to that there is a music store about an hour away from where I live that does repairs. It's just a matter of getting on the phone or maybe the internet and asking. Try http://www.synthzone.com
Maybe email Nigel the site owner. He's a friendly guy.

Yo Two-Kay, if you want to be OK, junk your junk synth and just go out and find a NEW SYNTH YOU LIKE AND BUY IT.

Electronics' gear rolls over about every 90 days; that's why we can't keep up with progress unless the bank roll is a large roll of bank.

Soooo, my advice, GET A NEW SYNTH, don't buy any used electronic gear; when you buy it used, you're buying gear that has been abused and that's what is GNUS.

Green Hornet

Well actually, the thing with this one is that I bought it based on its rarity. The other thing is they don't make them any more (I think they stopped between '94 and '96) which is a bit of a drag. I made a bunch of calls around town here today and visited a bunch of music shops to see if they would consider repairing it. They did admit that they had never heard of it (yikes), and that they wouldn't want to go poking around inside based on the fact that they've never seen one before thus making it as good to me as a UFO that crashed in my back yard.

So it looks like I've come down to two options. Either I cut my losses and forget about it, or I spend another $200 or so and ship it to PA where Wersi fortunately STILL has a repair center (from Canada, this is not a cheap venture). The worst that can happen I guess is that they look at it and realize that its dead beyond revival.

Lesson #1: Unless you have money to burn, do not buy used gear that is rare enough to not be fixable without investing large sums of money.

Ah well, live and learn.

Back