My studio under construction

Update?? Also something to consider - if you're not concerned about noise / neighbors, you might not want to drywall and add more isolation. More mass / isolation / soundproofing causes more reflections and acoustic issues inside the room. Maybe some to shield between your control room and live room, beyond that, who cares.

try google's Sketch Up for visual layouts

this is basically my studio garage with the roof off so you can see what I did

manor music studio layout.jpg

Cool, I like it. I still need to put in some treatment in the main room. I am surprised though how the control room sounds, A CD played on a car or home stereo sounds really close to what I hear on mixdown. Thanks:thumbs up:

I am planning the placement and number of traps I need, this is what I have so far. any input is welcome. Thanks

Layout ver 1.jpg

Other than two 2" panels behind you, there is no acoustic treatment? Have to guess that you've got major issues with all that MDF and corners, etc. But if you can make translatable mixes in there, good for you!

Last edited:
I agree.

For the very small size of the control room you have and absolutely no acoustic treatment...not sure how well your monitoring/mixing will be.

I know it's probably tool late...but when you don't have a large space to work with...doing one big open room instead of too small rooms is a much better way to go, IMO.
Sure you have to use headphones when you are tracking...BUT...you have less issues with acoustics, and it's a nice, one, breathable space. Much more comfortable and everyone can see everyone..etc.

That's how I have my studio...and the single open space has never been a problem.

Is the control desk redwood, or cedar? It looks suh-weet!

it is red cedar, a friend of mine has a saw mill at his house and this log had been laying in his back yard for years. it cost me 100.00 to have him cut the boards for me. it is my favorite thing about the studio. I built the frame with 2x4's, sanded it and put a clear coat on it.:drunk: Thanks!

Other than two 2" panels behind you, ther eis no acoustic treatment? Have to guess that you've got major issues with all that MDF and corners, etc. But if you can make translatable mixes in there, good for you!

i am thinking about putting some foam acoustic panels on the walls and ceiling, the kind you glue on.

No, no, no! Not foam! It will absorb (some) highs and leave your mids and lows a mess. 4" minimum thick rockwool (OC703, 705 or Roxul 80 if there's a budget issue) panels, or corner superchunks.

Last edited:
Foam, although good for flutter echo, is actually more expensive than 703/705 for the same absorption rates at the frequencies that it covers...

I have a box of OC703 2x2x2" and frames and material (8 units) I'll send you for $150 and you pay shipping (I'm in NC, so it's not too far). PM me if you're interested...planned to put them on my back wall, but QRD's it instead. BTW, look into QRD traps (both types). You seem to have access to lots of wood, and they are good for some things (especially on the rear wall).

Cover is easy, just go to the local Wal Mart and look through the $1 fabric till you find some burlap or similar breathable fabric that you like the color of. Seems you have plenty of access to wood so some 2'x4' frames of 1x2 should be no problem. I got my kits from Acoutimac. Love dem peoples.

Back