My spdif unit

jman1986

hey, i am new to spdif and i have a question about my spdif ports.

I wanna get into using spdif because like everyone else, i want more inputs!

I have an audiophile 2496 PCI card, (for pro tools) and i have no idea what i need to hook up to it in order to get the spdif working.

I tried posting this in the pro tools forum but i got ignored.

I have some basic knowlege of spdif, knowing that it is digital signal and i need a a/d converter in order for it to work.

What kind of CHEAP a/d converter should i get? Is that all i will need?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Or for a little bit more, get a used ART DPS II. It's a stereo tube preamp. That way you gain 2 channels over S/PDIF instead of just one. They go for about $150 used on ebay.

dpsII.jpg

dpsII_rear.jpg

God, those pictures are annoyingly large.

One other option is to pick up a Lexicon MPX-100 or MPX-110. This is a reverb unit that runs about $100 used, and includes a S/PDIF output. If you use the L/R inputs as your new line-level inputs, set the mix control to 100% dry, and hit the bypass button, it will ADC those inputs and output them unchanged on its S/PDIF output.

It does require having preamps for both channels, but on the upside, you get a decent entry-level 'verb unit as a bonus. I have no idea how good the ADC is technically, but it's an option.

Hey man isn't this just a norma preamp? how can i use this to record thru my spdif?

I wish i could see the back of this unit, then i could better understand
Go to the web site, download the manual, look at the picture of the back panel... see the spdif connector... buy your cheap channel of spdif conversion

hey man i checked out the manual and i understand it. For the sPdif cable thou, could i just get a single RCA cable or do i need a sPdif cable?

Back