My Snow Leopard Experience...so far!

Rusty K

Ok I purchased Pro Tools LE 8, installed it and downloaded the patch (8.3 if I remember?) for Snow Leopard...crashed Garage Band and PT. I tried a reinstall of GB, no good,... reinstall of OS from my disc., no good...uninstalled PT, no good. My brand new Snow Leopard is in the shop where they are doing a clean install of the OS. They've tried installing my saved PT program into 10.5,10.6 and 10.6.2...no good. I'll take my PT 8 intall CD in tomorrow and they will try to install it from there but I'm not optimistic. They get the message that it's a "core issue"...doesn't mean squat to me except that I've spent a lot of money on software that doesn't seem to work with a new Mac.

Troubleshooting...

If I just installed LE8 and downloaded 8.03 could I still need to update the drivers?

Can you describe what you mean by "it crashed Garage Band and PT". What happened?

Your best bet is to speak to Digidesign Tech Support.

Finally, Pro Tools does not use drivers. Garageband would use the core audio driver though... That is installed when you install Pro Tools and you should not use the standalone installer for core audio drivers.

Can you describe what you mean by "it crashed Garage Band and PT". What happened?

Your best bet is to speak to Digidesign Tech Support.

Finally, Pro Tools does not use drivers. Garageband would use the core audio driver though... That is installed when you install Pro Tools and you should not use the standalone installer for core audio drivers.

Perhaps "crashed" is not the correct description... GB will not open at all and PT hangs when it starts loading plugins.

I definitely plan on speaking with Digi but from the feedback I'm reading at the digi forum, things aren't looking good. I'd say that digi/avid has a collosal mess on their hands right now. Their ranking as the "industry standard" will be history if this keeps up much longer. I'm just a home recorder. I can imagine the frustration of professional studios equipped with Apple...or Windows 7 for that matter.

So it could be the core driver causing the problem with GB? One more "stoopid" question...can I still use the MBox interface/soundcard even if PT is not installed?

Perhaps "crashed" is not the correct description... GB will not open at all and PT hangs when it starts loading plugins.

I definitely plan on speaking with Digi but from the feedback I'm reading at the digi forum, things aren't looking good. I'd say that digi/avid has a collosal mess on their hands right now. Their ranking as the "industry standard" will be history if this keeps up much longer. I'm just a home recorder. I can imagine the frustration of professional studios equipped with Apple...or Windows 7 for that matter.

So it could be the core driver causing the problem with GB? One more "stoopid" question...can I still use the MBox interface/soundcard even if PT is not installed?

Most professional studios are likely to be just upgrading to Pro Tools 8 from 7.4. Most of them won't touch Snow Leopard or Windows 7 for quite a while either; for reasons exactly like this. These hickups are quite usual for new OS releases, and indeed for major software updates.

Their position as the market leaders, or industry standard will not be affected by this.

Anyway, back to you. If you uninstall Pro Tools it's possible it'll uninstall the drivers, in which case you'd need to install the standalone core audio drivers which should be on the Digidesign website.

So yes, you can run the Mbox, with Garageband (or any other core audio app) without Pro Tools installed.

Which plugin is shown on the screen when Pro Tools hangs? Try locating the plugin, and removing it from the plugin folder. I recommend cutting and pasting to another folder.

It's possible that plugin is corrupt. This is a fairly common effect of a corrupt plugin.

Additionally, buying a new MAC from a reseller (not sure where you purchased yours) you may find that they upgrade to the latest version of OS X. However they may have upgraded through the software upgrade and not the combo update. This is problematic for MACs. The first thing I have done for my last 2 is re-image the machine myself and apply the latest combo update, before installing PT.

As for the the plug-in, as pezking said, corrupt or incompatible plug-in, remove the plug-in where you see the hang from;
/applications/digidesign/pro tools/plug-ins (and alias plug-in)... reboot your host and go from there.

Which plug-in is it?

Last edited:
Guys...

I'm very sorry for not getting back sooner. Besides the audio problems I've also had email difficulties.

Update...

The problem was of my own making. I now realize that I never really got the PT LE 8.0.3 upgrade installed. I can't believe how slow the download was. It took my DSL connection 5 hrs. and when the puter went to sleep the download stopped about two thirds of the way through. Anyway I think everything is up and running now. I've opened PT but I haven't transferred my session files yet. I'll know more when I get that done. This brings up another question...third party plugins. I hope there is no problem with the Massey demos. I used them liberally in previous sessions.

On the Install Disc in the "Other Applications" folder there are a ton of plugs that I'd like to try out. Do I just get the ILok authorization to get these or am I kidding myself that they are freebies? I've read at the digi forum that it's probably best to grab third party plugs one at a time to make sure they are going to work smoothly with the program.

Massey plugin demos. I've used them a lot in old sessions but I think they will be fine now that I have a good install.

Glad things are moving along for you, yes the Massey plug-ins are really good, high quality stuff, even the demos are better than some that cost.

Back