My Second Tune: 70's-y Rock

mcolling

Hola Amigos,

This is my second time throwing something up here for critique. I have taken a long hiatus owing to my backpacking trip around South America.

The song is called "Long Distance" and it thematically refers to a time one year ago when my gf and I were apart. I wrote it at that time.

I recorded everything with very inexpensive recording gear. For example, the SP B1 is my best mic. Also note that this is a completely solo effort. I overdubbed all of the instruments and recorded it myself.

Please be honest with your criticism -- I know that this style isn't to everyone's taste. I appreciate all comments! :)

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4611&alid=-1

Mike

Sounds good.
The vox are alittle bit low, maybe the one guitar is a bit loud.
Great singing, and good playing. :)
thanks for sharing

Cool. Very trippy at the start. I agree about the vox. Bring them up a bit. Other than that, nice feel to the tune. I dig it.
Ed

Sounds good

VERY Beatles - White Album or Abbey Road...

I like it.

Vox do need to come way up.
and I would change them up a bit...I don't know maybe a good scream here and there wouldn't hurt. Just some vocal dynamics would help..

How did you record the guitars and what gear did you use??

Thank you all for your nice comments and criticisms! :) Beatles, eh? I was thinking it had more of a T-Rex vibe, but hey, I'm not complaining. As for screaming, your suggestion is duly noted but I think that it might not fit with the lyrical content.

A new mix is now up featuring boosted vocals and a different intro (muted drums and bass).

shookiejones said:
How did you record the guitars and what gear did you use??

I used my SG through my Marshall JCM800, double tracked and recorded with a SM57 into a VTB1.

Sounds better

Nice mix. Vocals are nice and up front in the verses, but they could probably stand to be a little more 'there' during the chorus.

Still say Beatles! Hee hee. Again-- that's a COMPLIMENT! :)

Cool song , singing, recording. One thing I suggest is during the "Long...long distance" part is to raise the vocals. The guitars drown it out at that part.

Back