my sax video on u-tube

jbucla2005

just got an ART MP tube studio projects that I am using with an E-mu 1212M and a studio projects b1 mic (old kind.) Instead of a mic cable, I'm using a 6' hosa xlr interconnect, and using a monster cable studiolink xlr - phono from the ART pre to the sound card. Of course the sound is not as good as if I used ASIO, but I made a youtube video with my webcam so this is not possible unless I recorded the sound seperately... anyway I'm very pleased with the sound of the ART pre over my Presonus stuff (Tube Pre and Blue Tube) with this mic. The ART has a USB input too which is nice but it sounds better going through the E-mu. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEbDGWx5ghc

Any suggestions? Do I need to use a "mic cable" or is a regular XLR interconnect okay? Any benefit to tube rolling the ART? One other question, when connecting a balanced output from the ART to the E-mu, is there any reason I should be selecting +4db for the input? Isn't that for balanced? Because it doesn't seem to work right and I have a feeling the balanced cable is functioning as an unbalanced.... In which case, I don't need a balanced cable so... if anyone has any idea, please help me! Thanks.

Balanced cables are only needed to cut down on interference or electrical noise on very very long cable runs.... I doubt you're mic cable is over 100 ft long...

You're doing fine. Proper mic technique by keeping some distance from the mic, too.

(I'm also a tenor, alto and windsynth player)

Thanks. I won't bother with a balanced connection since my cable is short (half a meter.) I'm happy with this ART tube pre - just put in a tungsol 12ax7 reissue and going to play around with it some more.

new video...

rolled the ART with a Sylvania GB-5751, changed the mic to the new version of the B1, and tweaked the gain and output settings. Now this things sounds badass!!

Check out this video, (although the playing isn't perfect,) I am REALLY diggin' the tone of this pre compared to my Presonus Blue Tube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo1LP03WJtI

Although it's compressed and not recorded through ASIO, this is the best I can do for these vids, still I feel the tube adds so much life. I haven't even tried an audio only ASIO recording yet but I'm sure it's great, and going through the USB may yield even better results than using my E-mu 1212M (?) I can't use this for the vids though because the sound slows down and speeds up...

sorry...

I've been experimenting a lot. Here's one I'm keeping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAFfwp-sfe0

It's me playing along to a friend's CD. I changed the tube to a Tung Sol re-issue 12ax7, which is a nice tube and it's staying in. I tried a JJ 12ax7 too, a little smoother but not as a fat and toney. I recorded this with the limiter enabled. I think it sounds good, especially cool how much bass one mic can pick up. This was recorded audio and video seperately and then synced, so it was done using ASIO.

Watch in 'high quality' for the best sound.

I've tried your last two clips & neither are there.
You oughtn't post sounds on utub anyway - poor sound etc.
You OUGHT to post that you've dumped your clips to prevent silly people like me from trying to view/hear them.
I don't think I'll bother with your posts anymore.
P.S. If you can get the sort of differentiation you chat about with vaccuum tubes in cheap to mid priced equipment perhaps you should be working as a sales person at MF or somewhere.

Back