My sampled Guitars sound bad

benage

HI, I was wondering if anyone can help, I have been making music using sampled guitars amongst other things and when I use individual notes they sound o.k. but when I try to add the notes to make a simple triad with them they always sound awful. I know the notes are right as when I change the sample to a piano it sounds fine, I've tried reducing the volume of the bottom two notes this helps a a bit, usually I have to get rid of the bottom note altogether, I,ve tried slightly delaying the bottom two notes to recreate the effect of strumming but still the bottom two notes make it sound almost out of tune even though its not, Iwas wondering if guitar samples were usually chords already or something although I'm not sure that would work, can anyone help?

Are you sure you're voicing your triads the way they would be played on a guitar. If you say it sounds good with a piano sound, you might be playing your chords in a piano voicing, which could sound weird on a guitar.

thanks Rami, I am a bit of a beginner when it comes to chords, whats a voicing?

Benage,

A voicing is the order the notes are played in, to make a chord. If you play a chord on a guitar, play each note individually. You'll notice that the notes don't fall in the same order as they would on a piano.

For example, a typical voicing for the right hand paying an A-major on piano would be A, C#,E,A .

That same (bar) chord on guitar (starting with the big "E" string), would be A,E,A,C#,E,A. Played in another position, near the neck, starting with the Low E, the notes would be E,A,E,A,C#,E. Sometimes, the guitar might only play some of those notes. Very different than how a keyboard player would voice that chord, usually.

The best way to make sure you're emulating how a guitar player would play a chord is to play the chord on guitar and then take each note one at a time. You'll find that it makes for weird positions on a keyboard.

I hope this helps. I'm not a guitar player, so I hope my lack of articulation didn't confuse you more than help you.

Last edited:
Back