My roomshape is good...

Mo-Kay

Dragon Soul Productions
and I won't have a problem laying out my new room...but...
I have a few things I'm not sure about.

*ATTENTION NONE OF THE STUFF BELOW IS SCALED, I SUCK AT COMPUTERGRAPHICSTUFF* ...oh and come to think of it the 2ft should be about 3...hmm.

BLUE = window
BLACK=DOOR
GREY= SINK
GREEN = BED
RED CIRCLE = MIXING AREA

ROOM SIZE: about 14x11 with a 8 ft ceiling

sideview:
roombasicshapecj3.png

plan:
roomlayoutng0.png

• -the part next to the window is basically wood (actually there is a screwed-shut storage space in the bottom of that wall)
  • -the upper wall is concrete (outer wall)
  • -lower wall is drywall (inner wall)
  • -sloping roof is drywall too.
  • -window has medium curtaining and a central heating radiator underneath it.
  • -floor is linoleum.

OK, the crux basically is... I know what to do about the upper and lower wall... plus I want to put 2 3-foot-high basstraps underneath the sloping roof...
but what am I to do with the sloping roof itsself? There is no way I can screw anything in there, it would either not hold, or I'd get killed by my parents, who own the house..lol.

So I figure I could use something like velcro, i.e.

BUT WHAT KIND OF TREATMENT SHOULD I GIVE THE ROOF AND HOW?

Also, other suggestions on treating this room are very, very welcome.

Thnx.
Mo-Kay.

use some cloth wrapped 703 rigid fiberglass absorbers hung on picture wire and picture hooks. for the 2' section, hang some 4" thick absorbers off the wall and floor. in the corners use 2" or 4" straddling the corners. for reflection points, clouds, and front-back wall use 2". use a drape over the window if needed. put the monitors on stands behind desk.

Attachments

• mo-kay room.jpg
    mo-kay room.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 121
alright, that helps a bit, although most of it, I already knew.

another question comes to mind tho: I'm also sleeping there, won't fiberglass f*ck up my health?

Anyone have more suggestions for mounting stuff on/treating the sloping roof part?

alright, that helps a bit, although most of it, I already knew.

another question comes to mind tho: I'm also sleeping there, won't fiberglass f*ck up my health?

Anyone have more suggestions for mounting stuff on/treating the sloping roof part?
It shouldn't fuck up your help if you cover it in fabric, and once it's installed don't touch it. Once it's installed, I'd leave it a few days before sleeping in there, and hopefully the fibers will settle.

would standard fiberglass acoustic ceiling tiles found in drop ceilings work in this application? possibly two stacked on top of eachother and wrapped in cloth?

not to be rude guys...but there's a shitload of threads about rigid fiberglass & alternatives... so please use the search function and don't jack my thread.

Let me rephrase my "sloping roof" question btw:

Does this slope do anything as far as diffusion goes...cause from what I understand diffusion is very important for a back wall?

the fiberglass is an irritant, not a carcinogen (unless you're a lawyer) http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35439
so covering it with cloth and proper handling is fine.

the room may be too short to have effective diffusion on the back wall, and the angles on the back actually may reflect into your listening position (hence the back wall cloud). that said, if you want to put diffusers on the back wall, you can try it but normally you wouldn't unless you have about 18-20 feet because when you're closer, the phase interference effects (which is how most QRD or other math based diffusers work) could be apparent and confusing in close proximity. you could build some poly diffusers which also act as base traps and work through reflection rather than phase. building them with peg board can also add high-frequency Helmholtz absorption.

(shown as cut away)

Attachments

• example pegboard-poly.jpg
    example pegboard-poly.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
the problem is though, I would have no idea how to mount one of those onto that sloping part.

I'll try n do some excact measurements of the room tomorrow.

since the back slope is short, i wouldn't mount one there. i'd stand up a couple of the polys along the back wall or hang them. i'd put up a cloud in front of the back slope to cut the reflection back to the mix desk. since its not fully covered, the interactions with the rest of the room (diffraction/refraction/absorption) will make it more diffusive.

checked measurements, and I was about right.

but what are you saying...should I leave the sloping roof itself untreated then?

use some cloth wrapped 703 rigid fiberglass absorbers hung on picture wire and picture hooks. for the 2' section, hang some 4" thick absorbers off the wall and floor. in the corners use 2" or 4" straddling the corners. for reflection points, clouds, and front-back wall use 2". use a drape over the window if needed. put the monitors on stands behind desk.

That may be one of the best illustrations to help I've ever seen here. Did you draw it? Very helpful!

That may be one of the best illustrations to help I've ever seen here. Did you draw it? Very helpful!

Must have, it looks like he based it on the OP's drawing.
It's pretty cool that some people are willing to go above and beyond to help others.

checked measurements, and I was about right.
but what are you saying...should I leave the sloping roof itself untreated then?

the long sloping part is where you should face your desk, take advantage of the slope to direct the sound up and into the clouds. use the short wall to trap bass. you won't be able to get your desk under it (or maybe you can) but if you leave the desk out a bit you can add trapping there and put your monitors on stands behind the desk to maximize their effectiveness.

I'm afraid that'll waste too much of my space, I also need to be able to put my bed in etc...so I'd really rather do it the other way around (like in my drawing).

In that case, how should I treat the long sloping part?

put your bed on the tall wall. it will also trap some bass behind you. otherwise, put some absorbers on the sloped wall and keep it from reflecting too much back at you. i think you're best served with my first sketch though...

alright then.

Yeah I see what you mean about your first sketch...but I need all the space I can get beacause of the bed, and the fact that I'm not completely DAW-based and need space for racks, synths etc.

Thanks very much though, you've been a great help!:)

Back