My Remake of "Nada Surf - Popular"

dreamache

There's no vocals, but this is pretty much my first attempt at making something sound somewhat similar with decent quality...

also, even though the mp3 is 3:30, it pretty much ends at 2:30 (forgot to cut off the last minute).

Nada Surf - Popular

Equipment used:

- Washburn electric and Cort bass direct through Line6 TonePort UX2
- Roland TD6S -> Drumkit From Hell Superior
- Sonar 5 Pro

The timing is all over the place! The drums sound pretty bland - they need some reverb. Bass is inaudible at times. But you really need to tighten that puppy up.

Hypnotic in a way, but as far as the song, it really doesn't do much but repeat itself. Nice to hear real drums, not programmed. Good first attempt, but you have some road to tread as far as recording and instrumentation. Tread that road and post back. I look forward to your next piece and/or this piece further developed.

The drummer is not helping. Put a more competent beat behind it and you're on to something. This song is a slow pitch for a good singer.

Like the other guys said, the drums need some serious tightening as do the bass.
It generally sounds as If who ever is playing needs way more practice.
Its loads of playing errors like the bass comes in a beat or two to late.
The sound aint to bad, you just need to get the instruments timed and groomed abit.

good luck :)

Pretty much already been said by the previous posters.....
Guitar tone is good and drums are nice and even though. Maybe mix for space between guitar/bass/kik so each gets their part of the spectrum.

hehe... well, this was all me playing, bass / guitar / drums. when recording this one i really wasn't putting any emphasis on playing tight, as i was kind of in a hurry to get it done within a night and focus on trying to get experience with mixing/mastering.

i'm also rusty on the drums (been 6 years since i've played) so that kinda explains the story ;)

thx for the comments. i'm definitely learning.

I marked this one for follow up so one night later, here I go again.
I think you have one of the best drum sounds I have heard as of late here. Snare levels are a bit hot. Great tone on the hats, toms as well though toms are a little low in level likely due to micing. Rhythm to disagree with above posters (sorry, my opinion that's all) is on que. How does the line from the movie Gattica go...you could play a piano to that beat. Basic, but everything right with basic as long as it fits, and this one does.
Guitar timing in a few noticeable places is what probably throws the timing thing off.
Still, guitar and line is repetitious. With vocals or other embellishments, it may just be the nature of the song. But as is, it sounds like an unfinished product, songwise. I like your bass lines as well. Why is it that drummers always connect with the bass and vice-versa...oh yeah, they are both considered percussive instruments!
Love those drums man!

Seeker of Rock said:
I marked this one for follow up so one night later, here I go again.
I think you have one of the best drum sounds I have heard as of late here. Snare levels are a bit hot. Great tone on the hats, toms as well though toms are a little low in level likely due to micing. Rhythm to disagree with above posters (sorry, my opinion that's all) is on que. How does the line from the movie Gattica go...you could play a piano to that beat. Basic, but everything right with basic as long as it fits, and this one does.
Guitar timing in a few noticeable places is what probably throws the timing thing off.
Still, guitar and line is repetitious. With vocals or other embellishments, it may just be the nature of the song. But as is, it sounds like an unfinished product, songwise. I like your bass lines as well. Why is it that drummers always connect with the bass and vice-versa...oh yeah, they are both considered percussive instruments!
Love those drums man!

thx for the comments. the drums aren't real drums ;) they're drumkit from hell superior, mapped from a roland td6s vdrumkit

Back