my Reaper doesn't like SampleTank FREE

allegro1650

Well, I was looking for a decent freeware plugin to do some demos, and I thought I'd try SampleTank FREE. (Their caps, not mine.)

Anyway, I figured I'd try it for a bit, and if it was worth the money I'd buy the full version.

No luck. First, it kept telling me the Install Verification was out-of-date. Um, it's YOUR "install verification", IK Multimedia. Don't send me something out-of-date online, and then tell me it's my problem, and that I have to correct it.

After 3 tries, I finally got the install to verify, with my serial number sent to the corporate website. Now, to the good stuff: It kept crashing and throwing up error messages: "registry error, please verify this item is properly installed". OK, uninstall, reinstall. Same thing. Uninstall Reaper (64-bit), reinstall, scan for plugins -- uh oh. It wouldn't show up in the "Instrument" folder, only "FX".

Oh, well. No big deal, right? I mean, a plugin is a plugin... *bzzzt*! Nice try. Not only will it not load, now it's puking error messages again, and saying .dll and .exe files from QuickTime 4 are missing. Wait, version 4? Apple's on 7.x already, version 4 was archived at least 12 years ago!

So why is this puppy looking for QuickTime 4 files, on a 64-bit operating system that came out 8 years after? Why can't I do anything with it? Why does it need QuickTime anyway? Why does Reaper keep crashing when I try to run it?

Assuming that I'm somewhat ignorant would be acceptable, if I didn't follow protocol, or hadn't checked all the boxes, or that I was diddling around with the program somehow. However, this isn't my first day at the rodeo. Reaper was working just fine before this, and I downloaded it all by myself like a good little boy.

sigh...
/rant.

Yeah, it's freeware. If if don't work, toss it, right? It would be a shame, though, if IK's freeware version was such a vacuum of suckage that it discouraged me from buying the full product.

+1 for NI Komplete - I'm very happy with it. Kontakt is so useful when you're sitting there thinking, that'd sound good with <insert any instrument name> in it, and you can pull one up in seconds and play it along.

I have SampleTank FREE working on Reaper 64 bit in Windows, but I always get an error message about admin rights (although I've set it to run as admin).

OK, Part 2:

The solution for me (your mileage may vary) --

1) back to Reaper 32-bit. For some odd reason, the 32-bit plugins weren't comfortable running with the 32-bit emulation mode. I don't know if this was a Windows stupidity, or some goofy code written by IK; my first instinct was to roll back and simplify.

2) Rename the plugin folder to "C:/Programs (x86)/Steinberg/VstPlugIns/ " and rescanned.

3) To be thorough, I used CCleaner (a really good freeware Windows utility, for keeping your hard drive healthy) and deleted a bunch of useless registry stuff. After that, I used Defraggler to defragment the hard drive.

Back