my rap home setup

Cool John

tell me what you think: this is what i will be buying before June 15th, unless someone has a better idea

Mic - AKGC3000B, Blue Baby Bottle, Rode NTK
Soundcard - Echo Layla
Midi Interface - Steinberg MIDEX 8X8
Computer - g4 tower, with 3 external SCSI hard drives, and 2 burners
Software - Cubase 5, Logic Audio, Cool Edit, CD Architect
*various plug-ins*
Synth- Korg Karma
Sampler/Sequencer- MPC 2000 with effects board
Sound Module- Roland 3080
Monitors- MackieHR824
Headphones- 2 pairs of Sony MDRV900s
Accessories- mic stand, popper stopper, windscreen, power conditioner, room treatment, racks, desk

and ill be recording to the hard drive

my 2nd part of the question: is i have no idea what kind of mixer and mic pre i want:
mixer: its between the mackie 1604, and mackie 24-4
mic pre: between presonus blue tube, grace 101,Aphex 207

what would you all do?

thanks a ton

Cool John said:

what would you all do?

thanks a ton

Me personally i would just wait until june 16 and come rob you if i knew where you stayed but since i dont i'll just pass you on to the next guy. good luck

Re: Re: my rap home setup

soundboy said:
Me personally i would just wait until june 16 and come rob you if i knew where you stayed but since i dont i'll just pass you on to the next guy. good luck

I'd rob soundboy when he was pulling out your driveway...

Naw seriously... Count your ins and out for the mixer... 3 mics, 4 on the KARMA, up to 10 on the MPC... You've killed the 1604 already... 3080... What's that 4 more... Not saying you will use all those and maybe not the way i'm thinking but it's nice to know you can... But all you can track from that mixer would be a max of six thu the busses (you got direct outs though). How many ins is on the LAYLA? 8? Mackie 24/8... Dump 8 tracks a once. Just telling you about some things you might want to consider. I use a 1604 and it's cool as a fan...

GRACE and APHEX should be better sounding than the BLUETUBE... Kinda depends on you finances and taste....

U hit the lotto jack pot or something???

Since money dont seem to be a thang,

1)why not go for a MPC4000.

2)if u can audition the 3000B before u buy. read a couple posts that made me decide to look elsewhere since i couldn't try one out first.

3) why not go all out and spring for a control surface to make life that much sweeter.

A couple of questions -

Do Cool Edit and CD Architect run on Mac?

Why both Cubase and Logic? They are two apps that do essentially the same thing and both have their own learning curves.

Hi_D_Ho_Man said:
U hit the lotto jack pot or something???

Since money dont seem to be a thang,

1)why not go for a MPC4000.

2)if u can audition the 3000B before u buy. read a couple posts that made me decide to look elsewhere since i couldn't try one out first.

3) why not go all out and spring for a control surface to make life that much sweeter.

man i wish i did...naw...just been saving up for about a year and a half and have finally acrued enough $$ for this shit. ive been researching for just as long too.

i dont really know the upside to getting an MPC4000, all ill really be using the 2000 for is sequencing and sampling, ive played with the 4000, its cool as hell, but i dont *NEED* it and therefore would be a waste of money for what i want to do.

what did those 3000B mic reviews say? ive heard almost nothing but good things about them...id say out of 10 reviews i read on it, probably 8-9 had good things to say about it.

LAZI: i will only be using one mic at a time...but yea, the layla is 8 outs, ill look into the 24-8 tho...thanks for the suggestion.

i believe both cool edit and cd architect both run on the mac, if not then im kinda screwed for a second, but nothing i cant research and have fixed within a few days...ill look into that, thanks for bringing it to my attention

if you want to do stereo recording(most keyboards will make ya do this) through ya preamp, get the Aphex 207...

if you want single channel get the Grace 101...

btw ya know i got my Aphex for sale, holla a tme

^^ question: why are you selling that for another pre amp...i see you wanted a great river for example...what does that (and others youre looking at) have to offer that the aphex doesnt?

By the way...

If you cop a decent mixer you might be cool enough with the pres. Some people like MACKIE's preamp in their mixers.

1. i dont like mackie mixers to start

2. many people wouldnt consider mackie mic pres to be "professional" recording material.

but i will agree with the idea that mackie mic pres are better than most all pres on mixing boards, and even better than a few external units.

i want something like an aphex, avalon, blue tube, grace101, joe meek, etc.

rap home setup

yo wuttup man. im just new becomin a member of the site. but was educated by it 3 years ago until i was on the low for a while. first time back since 1999, and it feels good to see da site up and runnin. but yo, on the akg 3000b: i was put on it a while back and did some home recoring with it for a minute. i recorded on the 58s, 57s and they wuz strait, but i got real used to the akg3000 to a point of feelin comfortable with how it responded to my voice. I just recently hit a nice "700,000.00" (so they say)studio that was runnin pro tools and dropped 3 songs to bootleg a single album. there wuz just something about it i just wasnt feelin. At first i thought i just wasnt spendin enough time mixing or wasnt on the mic right, but just realized that it was a different mic. dude said it wuz a 1,000.00 mic, but i wasnt feelin it, know what im sayin. so, on that note the general advise from the pros would guide u to test a few mics out. find a couple studios in the cut or underground and see what type of mics they got. make moves from there, know what im sayin? Godbless homey. Peace

Re: Re: my rap home setup

soundboy said:

LMAO :D

Mic Pre

It has been about a couple of years since I have been on this board, but I miss it here. I rebuild classic mic pres wich blow anything you get off the shelf, away. They are called ward beck pres and they were designed by Rupert Neve about 25 years ago, when it was still affordable to do things by hand. Anyhow I have a few stereo pairs and they sound incredible. If you do alittle research you will see for your self that they are truly first class pieces. I am asking $1500 for a stereo pair. They can get right up to about 128db! so you need a good compressor. Cheers , Paul

Back