My Rack gear upgrade/addition

lilman42459

This is what I have in my rack (don't laugh too hard):

Behringer UB2442FX Mixer
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer
Zoom 1204 Multi-effects processor
Alesis 3630 compressor

This is what I am wanting to know. Is there a better Sonic maximizer I can purchase? I have listen to many and can't tell much of a difference. Also I am wanting to get a rack EQ. Is the DOD's any good? What about a Kick butt Multi effects processor that is affordable. Where does my compressor stand?

This is not a post a run. I will be back to reply.

Thanks
Adam

You need to tell us what instrument you play and how you intend to use the rack. Then it will be possible to give you better advice.

Ok I apologize,

This is going to be for industral music.

Mainly:
Electric Acoustic Guitar
MicroKorg Syth
Drum Machine (ToonTrack for PC)
Keyboards
E-MU Proteus Orchestral sound Module (when I get it)
Live Drums will be used but not much.
Shakers
Djembe

I don't like the sonic maximizer on anything save bass. It sounds like sonic scrambling on vocals and raises hell with eq and compression on guitars
I could see an Aphex Compellor or a couple rnc's, a decent preamp and a couple dynamics (sm7 senn 421 re 20 (or less if Chessrock is around)

It looks to me like you need a couple matched mics and maybe a couple channels of good outboard preamps, since you will be recording some acoustic instruments. Since you will not be using live drums much there's probably no need to go crazy with buying a bunch of mics or preamps for that. Just make due with a stereo pair and you should be fine.

As far as the Sonc Maximizer, stick with the one you have. You said yourself you can't hear the difference between it and other models, so no point in throwing more money at it. That would be a waste when you really need to put the money toward other stuff. I'm not a huge fan of Sonic Maximizer type processing, as it is very easy to overuse, and to use as a sonic band-aid.

You definitely need to upgrade out of the Zoom and the Alesis. A really good multi-fx box for not *too* much money is the Lexicon MPX-1. You may be able to find one used for a very reasonable price. It has a good sounding reverb, and the other fx are good as well. Very programmable.

As far as compression, maybe a DBX unit like the 166A. Or the RNC. It depends how much you have to spend. I'm not really a huge fan of the 166A, but I think practically anything would be an improvement over the 3630. I like the ART PRO VLA, and that is under $300 new these days. Compression is one of those things where it is nice to have several different boxes, since they all sound different and have their own unique characteristics. So compressors are one of those things that you sort of collect over the years.

In the current issue of TapeOp there's an interesting article about an easy mod of the 3630 that supposedly makes it sound a lot better. It disables the gate, but if you don't use that, then it might be worth trying it.

Thanks for the replies.

What would be some good outboard preamps that aren't thousands or is there such a thing.

I checked the Lexicon out and I am getting it on Friday.

How can I get that mod for my 3630? I don't subscribe to that mag your talking about

Thank You
Adam

lilman42459 said:
Thanks for the replies.

What would be some good outboard preamps that aren't thousands or is there such a thing.

How can I get that mod for my 3630? I don't subscribe to that mag your talking about

Thank You
Adam

Preamps -
Joemeek 3Q $199.00
M-Audio Tampa $399.00 (can find on froogle for around $330.00)
M-Audio DMP3 $159.00
Studio Projects VTB-1 $129.00 or so.

Compressor -
RNC $150.00 or so
ART VLA $230.00
DBX 166 $225.00 or so

lilman42459 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Thank You
Adam

TapeOp is FREE! You just have to go to their site and sign up:

http://tapeop.com/

I absolutely love TapeOp, I look forward to each issue arriving much like I *used* to be excited about Keyboard Magazine, Electronic Musician, and Mix. All of which I've dropped my subscriptions to. TapeOp is great. If you sign up right away you might get the issue with the 3630 mod info in it. But if you don't, you could probably back order it for cheap.

A preamp that gets a lot of really good user comments is the Sytek unit. There is a recent thread about it here at homerecording.com. I think it costs in the $800 area for four channels.

Glad to hear you like the MPX-1, I think you'll be happy with it.

Back