My Power Amp is making a scary noise!! Please Help! *SOUND CLIP*

aznricey

I got a used Yamaha PD2500 Power Amplifier and its starting to make strange noises. It almost sounds like a fan without grease. One time I placed it on a different surface and that noise disappears. I play with a band a used this guy with some passive speakers. Recently the squeaking noise comes on just about 90% of the time.

I also connect it through a Xenyx (Behringer XENYX X1832 USB ) mixer and today the sound just completely cuts off, I know it definitely has to do with the cable connection if not the XLR socket on the channels. Is there anything I can do? I wouldn't mind opening it up and taking a picture for you guys.

Here is the sound:

https://soundcloud.com/howang/memo

Thank you so much in advance.My band needs YOU to help us practice properly ><

The fan might be clogged with dust or dirt and in need of a good cleaning. Use a can of compressed air to blow out the dust and dirt. The mount on it might also be loose, so check to see if the screws that hold in place are tight and or not missing. If the noise is still there after all of that, the motor bearings might be shot and if so, the fan would need to be replaced.

Cheers! :)

Yes, that unit does have fans inside it, according to the manual. They might need to be cleaned, lubricated or possibly replaced.

Last edited:
Back