My POD Sounds Like Poop

Junkie Joel

I own a POD, and all the sounds that I get from it sound real bad when placed into the mix of a song. I play trashy, hellfire fag- rock. The only way I can get a decent sound is to lay down two tracks with it and then pan them to left and right. Plus, the lows are always too predominant. The highs sound distant, and there is little crunch. Can you guys give me some tips on how you got your POD to sound nice.

Currently, I am trying to get a sound similar to IN UTERO from NIRVANA.

You could try running a bass distortion pedal into the POD. Use the POD like a preamp and tweak the EQ and distortion on the pedal to get the sound your looking for.

I always have to turn down the bass frequencies on all the POD tracks I record. When I record rythm tracks with the POD I always do them in stereo and pan hard L/R. Most of the sounds you are talking about are probably even more than two tracks. Even when I mic my amp I record at least two tracks, more if I have extra tracks, for the rythm guitar parts.

Have you hooked the POD up to a computer via midi yet for editing the patches? It's better than turning the knobs on the front of the thing, and you can download patches and load them into your POD. Line6 is starting up a Tone Library I think they call it on their website, and here's another link to some POD resources: http://www.dthraco.com/pod.htm

Hey heres a couple secrets(not victorias mind you)I just found out.

1. For a presence boost, Hold taptempo and turn treble knob past Midnight(12,5 or what ever ya call it,12 on a clock).

2. For a drive boost, hold taptempo and turn drive up past Midnight.

3. For a volume boost, hold taptempo and turn chanel volume past midnight.

and yeah Kurt always double tracked or more of his guitar parts.

HOW TO MAKE A POD SOUND NICE:
HIT IT WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER AND BUY A VINTAGE TUBE AMP!

[This message has been edited by Daddy-O (edited 06-17-2000).]

Hey Daddy-O
I too always wanted to say that!
You hit the Pod on the head. It is a great tool for for some, but a tuned ear will always tell the differance between a syntethic modeled guitar track and a miked tube amp.
Sorry Guys
RP

Your missing the point daddy-o/russp-there is a small matter of price. If money was no object I don't think POD's would be peoples top priority.

We always welcome the views of the "anti-POD's". :)
I would love to have 15 or 20 vintage amps to choose from, but since I don't, the POD is the next best thing to have... and for a reasonable price, too.
I also would love to have $15,000.00 worth of analog equipment and record my music on 2 inch tape, but digital will have to do for now.
It's easy to say "my POD sounds like poop", and get you guys to say "HA!!! TOLD YA SO!!!".

But, remember this...
You can give someone a 500 horsepower Ferarri with a six speed transmission... (the ultimate automobile)... but that doesn't mean that the person will know how to drive it!

Buck

quit knockin the pod yall!
I would get a Room full O' tube amps if I had the $ and the Room.
:)

[This message has been edited by reco (edited 06-20-2000).]

I've heard so many good reviews about the pod. I think i'll get one myself whenever i get the cash.

But it has to be said. you can't beat a vintage tube amp with the master volume turned all the way up. SWEET!

[This message has been edited by Baza (edited 06-21-2000).]

I have a 50 watt Marshall, Mesa
Boogie MKIIc+, and a 1964 bassman that sounds perfect with my Fulldrive 2 but I like to write songs and I hate the sound of my rooms and all of their sonic problems. I like to record with my RP-2000 at home (Adats/Mackie/AKG-414/AT4033/effects/etc) but I'm not taking it to a pro studio that can make my amps sound awesome. It's easy and predictable and doesn't interfere with my songwriting. My amps and direct recording devices serve totally different purposes for me. I jam with my amps and record with my RP-2000. Was this a thread about a POD? Well, I just bought a Bass POD and I love how it sounds...very convenient.

just keep playin with it, for your stuff i'd try turning the compression all the way up and go from there. For me it has its good days and bad, but I'm guessing it's me and not the POD, because there have been times when the sound I get from it just sounds too good to be true. Well hope that helps...also read the manual for more stuff like what the guy said about the boosting of the 3 ranges. good luck.

Back