My PC record level is all over the place, please help...

cherrycobb

I wonder if anyone will be able to help me on this one. I'm trying to record guitar directly into the line-in of my computer but when i play it back the level goes everywhere from very quiet, to gradually peaking and then low again. Up, down, all over the place but there seems to be no reason for this whatsoever.

It does my head in! There's a low level hiss on top of everything as well, it must be the sound card because its the same result no matter what program i record with. Is anyone familiar with this or have any information that would be useful to help me record a clear non-fluxuating sound?

I'd be proper grateful if anyone could!

Cheers,

Tom.

i know exactly your problem...

go to your windows mixer. options....properties. click recording. and then make sure the line in is checked.

click ok and make sure the line in you're pluged in to is checked.

some programs will default to changing that to the mic...and without you knowing...your input is your mic and you're recording with your line in.

for whatever reason you can still hear what's coming in your line in...but it will be really quiet...or really peakingly loud.

usually a program that has voice communication like skype would change that setting.

Also, if your levels jump all over the place, try some compression to ease the dynamics a little. Seems to work.

Back