My Own Summer (Shove It) cover

hybridsound

Hello all.

I have been working really hard on this one. I decided that I wanted to make a cover song for my up-coming album, "Listen". I had a lot of songs in mind but this one just jumped out at me. It doesn't have vocals yet but I plan to record them today. I'm trying to stay as close to the original as possible with what i have to work with. Here's the link:

http://s10.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=23CBFSN5Q5DSB1SIREHTN28MW0

If that doesn't work, try this:

So, tell me what you think and tell me how I'm doing.

Thanks in advance.

Well, you've got all the notes and beats in the right places, and you've approximated the sounds pretty well, but there is no thickness in the sound. There is no cohesion in the instruments, they all kind of stand apart from one another. It's mostly the guitars that lack thickness. It sounds like a very clean demo for the song, and I doubt that the original demo they recorded sounded much different. However, it's too thin to call a finished product. It shows some promise however.

Michael Schinke

Talk about a thin sounding guitar...
Bass is a little low, and not well defined.

It's just not the same without the vocals.

Just my opinion though.

Guitars and bass need alil' tighting. Sounds thin yes. Good song though Deftones r0x. No Chino booo. That kick is poo. Use a machine?

Guitar sounds way back in the mix. Is that reverbed?

Keep tryin dude. It's going to be hard to get v0x to be as good as Chino's but, good luck.

L8er,
livilaNic

A/Bing these two side by side is a fucking riot though.

That album had my favorite drum sounds EVER and you are so far off with everything that it is seriously comical.

Not trying to be a dick but as far as covers go, why try if you can't eclipse the original....or at least come close?

Thanks, I would have never thought to spin Around the Fur this morning. :)

jake-owa said:
A/Bing these two side by side is a fucking riot though.

That album had my favorite drum sounds EVER and you are so far off with everything that it is seriously comical.

Not trying to be a dick but as far as covers go, why try if you can't eclipse the original....or at least come close?

Thanks, I would have never thought to spin Around the Fur this morning. :)
Yeah I hear ya. But...,

If it's not exact. Its ok cause your not them. I would say put your own sound to it to make it what you feel from it. Of course keeping the the song structure close to the original.

But of course timming and talent have alot to do with it.

L8er,
livilaNic

I hear what you're saying. I have to agree with all of you. I just had a listen to it after not listening to it for a while and it sounded like crap. So, I went back in and re-mixed it. I must say that it sounds a whole lot better! About the drums... I used drum pads... Enough said. Anyway, you can expect a better version up soon!

Yeah,... too thin sounding.

Way too thin, that's especially evident when the "heavy" part kicks in.................. :eek:

I'd say bring the vocals a little more up front. Had decent sound, just the vocals were a little buried.

The vox doesn't sit well in the mix. That damn kick its plop, plop, plop.

The guitar is a bit better this one. Doesn't sound as far back. It still sounds over verbed though.

Tighten the vox a bit. Some pitch problems in there. Chino's hard to emulate. He's pitchy too but, you/who ever sang it. Needs to just go over the song couple more times to get it right.

The cymbals sound alil hot as well. That bass is poo too sounds flat. Try different EQ'ing methods to fix some the shit. I'd be more pacific but, I'm just starting to learn how mixing shit is done/sounds.

I'm listening through a Dell Dim., Turtle Beach/Santa Cruz, Sansui 7070 Reciever, Yamaha 8in. speaks. EQ flat.

L8er,
livilaNic

Did I miss something? I downloaded the latest version and it didn't have vocals. I haven't heard this song since that album came out so I could be wrong but something about the drums doesn't sound right to me. The beat just doesn't have the feel that I remember during the main riff.
The sound itself is downright painful on the ears. Your missing alot of bottom end and it sounds like the high-end on the drums has been boosted along with everything else. Not sure what kind of EQ your doing but it might be best to re-evaluate it. Its pretty harsh to my ears.

the performance was okay - pretty good, the vocals are "iffy" in areas, but okay.

What has already been said...thin/no low-end/fatiguing to listen to...

Well, instead of just listing all of the things wrong with it, why don't you try to help out a bit? That's what I hate about people on this board... Everyone's so quick to critique and criticize but they don't offer any suggestions or advice or what ever... And, maybe you should take off the headphones and actually listen to it through some good monitors... It sounds good to me. I do agree about the bass drum, though.

Listing the things that are wrong with it is helping you, or at least it should be. The way this works is someone says "There's no low end in the song" and you say "Okay the things in this song that constitute the low end would be the kick, bass, and for Deftones, the bottom of the guitars" and then you go back and retrack, re-mix, or re-eq, whatever you have to do to give the song low-end. Then you move on to the next suggestion. Do you really expect people to type out a tutorial for you for everything that's wrong with the mix?

Oh and saying "it sounds good to me" doesn't really mean much. You posted it here so people would give their comments. Telling them they're not listening to it correctly defeats the purpose. We know it sounds good to you, you recorded it and deemed it worthy of posting here in the first place. Don't get defensive, it just shows that you can't take criticism.

hybridsound said:
Well, instead of just listing all of the things wrong with it, why don't you try to help out a bit? That's what I hate about people on this board... Everyone's so quick to critique and criticize but they don't offer any suggestions or advice or what ever... And, maybe you should take off the headphones and actually listen to it through some good monitors... It sounds good to me. I do agree about the bass drum, though.

What's this mean to you? "Needs to just go over the song couple more times to get it right."

"Try different EQ'ing methods to fix some the shit."

Yeah I understand how..."The vox doesn't sit well in the mix. That damn kick its plop, plop, plop."

...doesn't give any advice on how to fix it but as I stated..."I'm just starting to learn how mixing shit is done/sounds."

Bad advice is good advice.

To each his own.

L8er,
livilaNic

Wireneck,

You crack me up. "Did I miss something?"

Your missing alot of bottom end and it sounds like the high-end on the drums has been boosted along with everything else. Not sure what kind of EQ your doing but it might be best to re-evaluate it.

Its impossible for any of us to know what your original tracking sounded like to begin with, so trying to guess what you did when "mixing" is even more pointless. Maybe you should actually respond withs something like "Well I didn't Eq any of the lows or highs" or "I Hi-passed everything at 60hz". General consensus seems to be that you lack lows and the top end of the mix is harsh. If you don't know what to do to remedy that then it would be best to give some more info on what your actually doing and ask for some suggestions.
As you can see in my quote above I was fishing for some more info. Getting an attitude and saying "it sounds good to me" isn't going to help you.

Back