My Novation is Crackling??? Chriss!!!!!

laj35

Chriss'll prolly snatch this one up, but any help is great,

My AStation seems to be crackling a bit. It's mostly occurring when the cutoff is turned down below 1/4 and mainly with higher pitched sounds that are arpeggiated or triggered by quick lead-type patterns. I don't think it's the mixer or the connection/cable as I've tried a bunch of different cord, in/out combos and none of the other peices are having the same troubles. What could be causing this??? It best not be brocken or some shit or else I'll be pissed, mondo pissed. Chriss help me out man.....

Also wondering about noise reducing hardware pieces out there that could work to lower signal-noise ratio that our Kaoss Pad mixer's signal puts out. There is an unbearable amount of staticy type noise when there's nothing playing.

Thanks for any ideas/thoughts.....

Laj

ok...

first of all:
check that all your envelopes has got an attack and release amount of at least 8 (also the filter ones... all of them!) crackles like that is usually caused by to quick an amp envelope but can also be introduced by the filter envelopes...

second:
make sure you have the a-station connected to either a main socket or at least one without too many other interfering devices.. at one time i had my supernova hooked on the same multi socket as my computer and roland keyboard and the crackling would never stop..

third:
Give your a-station some rest.. every time you leave it, don't just turn it off.. turn of the power on it too or rip the power chord out... this is very important! once i had the power running - with the supernova turned off - when i was on vacation and when i came home it took several days for the unit to stop crackling.. you'll notice that it's also mentioned in your manual... when you go to sleep, allways be sure to cut the power... one of the few annoying things about the novation products, allthough i bet it's no different from other equipment...

if it's still crackling then we're looking at an annoying little thing called frequency doubling... this is piss of irritating sometimes.. you make a perfectly fine sound, but when you mess with the filter or the chorus, it starts crackling...
this is because the oscillators on the a-station are capable of oscillating above an amplitude of "1".. i.e. an oscillator mix of 127 willl produce a sound that's louder than it's supposed to.. this is to enable you to make extremely low filtered presets without loosing all the sound... at the same time you'll often use two oscillators at the same frequency, which means that your total oscillator mix output will get an unneccesarily high output volume which the filter can't handle...
try and reduce your oscillator mix to 70-90. 64 is the standard volume (1) , higher than 90 should only be used for basses and extreme sounds, allthough you can easily use a mix of 127 to make a phatt synth lead since you'll tend to modulate the oscillators by lfos and tune them differently to make the sound more phatt and broad...
you can also try and detune each oscillator a little bit, that'll prevent the doubling of the oscillators from happening with too noticeable consequences...

You're the shit man. Knew you'd snatch it up, just a matter of time. Much appreciated, as usual man.

Laj

Sho' did Chriss, I think it was mostly related to #2. I think that sucks that they don't have a kill switch on it, are all novation products like that, even the Supernova??? Got any suggestions Tex???

Thanks boys,

Laj

Back