• XP

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • 98 SE

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other ( non-mac OS)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It must be a P II

and I've been thinking of the NT4 or 2000 route. I guess I should have added that. One reason being the less code, more efficient.

Well, It could be an Intel Pentium 1, 266MHz, they made those for laptops. Might also be an AMD K6 chip.

Whatever the case, any of those OS's will probably work, provided you can find drivers for the OS you choose.

I go with 98 or 2000, decision based on what I was using it for.

If you go with XP, be sure to have at least 256MB of RAM. I've heard horror stories about trying to skimp on the RAM with XP.

The IT guy where I work has successfully used 2K on old machines (circa P-166) with only 32MB of RAM.

microsoft says

I just checked out THE BIG ONES site and they only need a133 processor and 64 meg but suggest 128 to run Windows 2000 pro. That 266 is not a ball of fire but should be all I need to record stereo and monkey around with moble midi stuff. Right?

Last edited:
Be careful about "minimum" suggested requirements. Yes they will work, but you will not be happy.

For Win 98 I would say minimum of 64 meg, 128 is better. For 2000, double that. Same for XP, although in my brief experience with it 512 megs works the best.

brzilian said:

And what relevance does this have to this thread???

Sorry dude. Was just urious about you all might have to say about the XP2800.
I'll delete the post if it makes you feel better.

hang loose Chewie

It's an initiation thing. don't take anything personal with these type of replies. I got ripped up and down on one of my first posts because of a post I started. It was supposed to be a reply to another post and I made a comment as to what I had puchased. I started a post stating I just got this mic and all hell broke loose. Just consider the sources of these comments and make a mental note that there are people that have nothing more to do but rip on others

To anyone with an opinion

Which of the four OS' you guys mentioned (2000,XP,98,NT). Would you say is the most stable for a DAW/MIDI setup.

Also... Chewie, I agree with t_chance 100% on that note.

T.J.Hooker:cool:

I voted before I read that it was a 266. I'd go for 98 or even 98lite. W2k can be done but it uses quite a lot of memory and I assume you don't hava a Gig of RAM in that laptop. I've managed to get W2k installations to use under 40MB of RAM but that machine didn't have networking, firewall, anti-virus etc.

My current computer meets the minimum requirements for the game Battlefield 1942, but I cannot even set the graphics options to low-res because the mouse pointer lags and jumps around on the screen. I'd need at least three times the power to run the actual game so so much for minimum requirements...

/O

Re: To anyone with an opinion

T.J.Hooker said:
Which of the four OS' you guys mentioned (2000,XP,98,NT). Would you say is the most stable for a DAW/MIDI setup.
I've tried 98, 2000 and NT4 and would suggest 2000. Stable, yet compatible, which was kind of what you had to choose between in the days of 98/NT.

/O

Back