My next mic should be...

dmbfan1981

I am looking to buy another mic. I was curious which of these would be recommended the most. ( As of now it seems that the AT4040 gets the best reviews )

1) AT4040
2) aT4033
3) Modded MK-319
4) Audix CX112 ( haven't heard anything about this one but have heard good things about Audix in general )

I am looking for something that can commonly be found for around $250 used on ebay.

I am mainly looking for something for male pop rock vocals. A la Edwin Mccain,
MercyMe, Dishwalla and occassionally more breathy and whispy like John Mayer. So I guess I am looking for something that has a smooth low end and not to bright. I have an AT3035 and it just seems just a tad too brittle on the top end to me. ( not sure if thats the right term or not. )

Thanks guys. I will also consider any other suggestions but please try to choose from this list first and then add any additions afterwards. Also please explain thoroughly why you chose that mic.

"male pop rock vocals"+"smooth low end and not to bright"=Shure SM7B

Might have to stretch your budget by another $50 or so but I think you'd be very happy.

Haven't used any on your list.

If the AT3035 is too bright, you won't be happy with the AT4033 either. The AT4040 is flatter and a good all around condenser mic. Haven't tried the others on your list. I'd second consideration of the SM7b or other high quality dynamic like the RE-20. You might be able to land either of those within your budget with patience and some judicious shopping on e-bay (I paid $200 each for my SM7s and RE-20).

Back