My next cymbal

zed32

Re-Attached Member
so my drum set is lookin pretty good these days, i got the new IC hi hat and double kick pedals, and my next move is gonna be to upgrade one of my crash cymbals, so i'm hoping to get a few pointers here.

right now, i have a 16" and a 17" crash, but i'm looking to get something bigger to replace the 16, like an 18 or 19" probably. i love my 17, and actually i like the 16 too (i'm gonna keep it, just move it out of the main position on the left side of the kit), but i want a nice BIG crash.

the sound i'm looking for is probably not gonna be cheap, haha. basically i want something dark, without a painful initial attack, but maybe has a bit of shimmery overtones. not so much something that just EXPLODES, but more of a mellow attack, but with a big full sound. also not too gongy, and mainly just not painful to the ears and somewhat dry. i'm guessing this sound would come from a thinner cymbal. i play hard rock music, but i really don't slam into the cymbals too crazy-like, so i'm not afraid of getting a thin crash.

my 17" is an older Zildjian A, and i love the sound of it and would probably like something that matches the tone, just in bigger size. but i'm not so sure if i should look toward the Zildjian A again (the new ones don't seem to sound as nice), or maybe try something from Sabian or any other brand. i really don't care what name it has on it, so i'm just looking for some suggestions on what's a good crash to check out for what i want.

I use 19" and 20" Custom A crashes and like them well.

How's the 20" A Custom crash? i just saw one on Craigslist for sale. i'm just afraid of the brilliant cymbals being too bright for what i want. like i said, i don't want a harsh attack, i'd prefer something more mellow. but i've played on my buddy's kit which had 16 and 18" A Custom crashes which sounded pretty sweet once they were broken in. i just wonder if the 20" is TOO big...but then again too big might be pretty awesome. :D

How's the 20" A Custom crash? i just saw one on Craigslist for sale. i'm just afraid of the brilliant cymbals being too bright for what i want. like i said, i don't want a harsh attack, i'd prefer something more mellow. but i've played on my buddy's kit which had 16 and 18" A Custom crashes which sounded pretty sweet once they were broken in. i just wonder if the 20" is TOO big...but then again too big might be pretty awesome. :D

It depends on how you hit it.

If you use the stick shoulder and a light touch you can get some pretty dark complex sounds out of it. If you smack it it's very bright.

If mellow is what you're after I think K customs might be more your style.

You're welcome to try my cymbals if you like.

It depends on how you hit it.

If you use the stick shoulder and a light touch you can get some pretty dark complex sounds out of it. If you smack it it's very bright.

If mellow is what you're after I think K customs might be more your style.

You're welcome to try my cymbals if you like.

i agree 100%. K custom medium thin dark crash. beautiful.

Definitely check out the K Customs. The Fast Crashes and Session Crashes are a little more shimmery, but still tonally complex. The Dark Crashes are great, but might be a little gongy for you. I also like the 18" A Custom Fast Crash. The one I have is fast and bright when struck hard, but has a much more complex sound when played at lower volume.

You know what sucks about buying additional cymbals? Not having your exsting ones with you to compare/contrast. :(

I have an 18" A Custom Thin Crash, sounds really sweet, very fast attack but it just has that lovely smooth but fast response I like! Sounds really loud and just ACE when hit harder, but sounds really delicate when played lightly (just realised I've posted pretty much exactly what scrubs said, but heyho!). I was torn between that and a 16" Z Custom, I chose the A because I thought its sound was more versatile.
My drum teacher used to have a K (I think it was K anyway!) Thin Crash and I liked that, that may have the mellow sound you're after, sounds darker than my A Custom.

I'm not brand biased whatsoever. Medium-thin crashes in Sabian AA or Zildjian Avedis will cover a lot of ground without losing response. The Zildjians are a lot 'wetter' IMO. A Customs are badass too; you can expect the customs to cut and shimmer a lot more, but even though they are thinner cymbals, I feel that it takes a little bit more effort to get them to open up. I've played on the A Customs for years. Anything in the higher end Paiste lines tend to have more body (once again opinion). I have a set of Sabian AA M-Th crashes on the kit now and they are very easy to record with, even in the larger sizes. Honestly, I think you'll be happy with the Sabian AA line, but let me state the obvious: hit up your local GC or music store and get to bangin! :D

19" Zildjian A or K sounds like what you are looking for , plus It'll match what you have okay. Play it with the 17" before you buy it.

so i finally scraped up the money and headed to the Banjo Mart and ignored all your advice (thanks though) and got a cymbal that nobody mentioned in this thread. i'm now the owner of a 18" Sabian AAX Dark Crash.

i was almost out the door with a 19" Zildjian A Custom like Supercreep had suggested. it was an awesome sounding cymbal, i tried the 20 and 19 and they both sounded great, but i was leaning toward the 19" because it wasn't such a wide jump in pitch from my current cymbals. there were some kids out playing in the drum room, so i just set up the cymbal on the crappy drum set they had in the cymbal room. then finally the kids went away, and i decided before i left the store to throw the A Custom on a nicer sounding kit out on the main drum floor. i was playing some stuff and just happened to hit the crash next to it which was already on the kit, and that happened to be the AAX Dark. i paused for a second, then hit the A Custom, then the AAX Dark again...they seem perfectly paired! the A Custom, although it was larger, was higher in pitch and had brighter, cleaner, and more complex overtones. the AAX Dark was a little "simpler" sounding, and although slightly gongy, had a real smooth attack and just sounded HUGE like a flood of sound. the evil voice in my head suddenly started whispering "buy them both!" but i just don't have the money for that, not even close! they only had one 19" A Custom in stock, and they had two of the AAX Darks, so i had the dude bring out both AAX and set them up next to the A Custom. i spent another few minutes just bashing them, listening, and imagining what would work best for me at the moment...and i decided on the AAX Dark.

i was slightly surprised to find that the two Sabians seemed to vary pretty drastically in their sound. one had visibly more and deeper hammering marks also, and was a higher pitch. i ended up going with the one that was lower in pitch, a bit darker, and had less hammering. i still really want to get that 19" (or maybe even the 20" now that i have an 18) A Custom crash, but something about that AAX Dark told me that it would be the one to get for the time being.

thanks again to everyone for your help. :D :D :cool:

Lol @ all this cymbal talk. They all sound the same when you bash them like you're supposed to. :)

well, sorry for hearing a difference between cymbals and wanting a certain sound....:confused::confused:

didn't mean to upset the almighty Greg by not bashing my cymbals correctly until they all sound the same.

:p:D

i guess i shoulda just went with the ZBT's then. :cool:

oh i'd also like to note that the guy at Guitar Center who assisted me with my purchase was actually very helpful and knowledgeable and was a good drummer. he didn't try to bullshit me or anything, and he was letting me try out everything without acting like a jerk about it. i've had some lame experiences at that particular Guitar Center (mainly in the Pro Audio dept.), but this guy was cool. he was a relatively new employee though, and a younger dude, so maybe GC just hasn't had enough time to turn him into a walking sack of BS yet.

well, sorry for hearing a difference between cymbals and wanting a certain sound....:confused::confused:

didn't mean to upset the almighty Greg by not bashing my cymbals correctly until they all sound the same.

:p:D

i guess i shoulda just went with the ZBT's then. :cool:
Yeah I'm just kidding. Nothing fucks up the sound you want like the wrong cymbals.

Back