My newly purchased $2.2k home studio

MaChMa

Hey guys, so I finally got all of the pieces together for my studio, and was just wondering if this is all going to set up smoothly, or if I'm missing anything, and if I get a decent bang for my buck. I've been singing and playing the keys with my band for a couple of years now, but thought I'd do a little solo project.
So here is my set up:)

Keyboards:
Yamaha MO6($500)
Korg Triton Pro X ($200)
+previously owned Roland Fantom x

Monitors/Cans:
Mackie HR824's($450)
Audio Technica ATH-m50 ($100)

Interface/Hardware:
Steinberg Mr816x($600)

Microphones:
Shure SM7b($300)
Shure 57/58($50)
MXL V67G($35)

I'm just about to buy all the chords and get to it. And I know I don't have a pre-amp, but I figure the preamps in the mr816 will get me by for now. I also have a few guitars (Les Paul Studio, Martin D-1, and a couple bass guitars). I'm not huge on guitar like I am the keys, but I want to be record them as I'm starting to pick them up again.

So what do you guys think...any suggestions or purchases my dumbass forgot to make? :spank:

I'm guessing you'll be using Cubase for DAW. What will you use for drums? Your keyboards? VSTi's?? No drums at all?? lol...

You didn't mention any room treatment. How your room sounds is one of the most important elements of a good mix. The typical home recordist gets one room to track and mix in. Acoustically, they work against each other adn you have to find a compromise. For tracking, you would ideally like a live room that sounds good. That probably won't happen in a small room like a spare bedroom. For mixing, you'd rather have a more dead room with peaks and nulls under control. This means bass traps, absorbtion, whatevers... and doesn't help for tracking.

I set my tiny room up for mixing. With its size, I know I could never get a good sounding live room out of it for tracking, so I made it dead with lots of OC703 everywhere. It sounds good to listen to mixes, but doesn't have a nice sound for tracking, so I add room ambience in through reverbs and plugs, etc.

Acoustically treating your room does not have to be an expensive endeavor and you will see a significant difference in your mixes. They'll translate to other systems easier. Lots of discussion on treating a room in the Studio Construction forum.

cool man,

WOW!!! is that the cost of gear new in america??

over the pond I have to save up around £100 which would be $175-200 for a 58 :(:(:(:(

Otherwise, looks like some good stuff to get you off the ground. next thing to think about is how to make the most of the space you have

WOW!!! is that the cost of gear new in america??

over the pond I have to save up around £100 which would be $175-200 for a 58 :(:(:(:(

Otherwise, looks like some good stuff to get you off the ground. next thing to think about is how to make the most of the space you have

YUP a 58 is now about $90. USD new, and I can't believe that you have to spend so much for one it should be illegal!....I think that is why we ended up revolting from the Queens taxes and ended up as a new country. :D

Some countries don't even allow the sale of some stuff in their country ....very sad.

:cool:

Some countries don't even allow the sale of some stuff in their country ....very sad.

Such as the United States, where you can't buy certain things? Like Cuban cigars, for example :mad:

Edit: Guess I'll say something helpful and repeat what someone else said - treatment should be first (or in your case, next) priority. Then comes great-sounding instruments and the ability to play them, then the recording gear :D

Funny, I had a conversation with someone recently who tried to convince me that mics and mic preamps were top priority in making a quality recording, well before decent instruments, a good sounding space and someone who can actually play their instrument well. I asked them, "If you have the ability to accurately reproduce a shitty-sounding instrument that is poorly played, how is it going to sound good?" They didn't like my argument :P

YUP a 58 is now about $90. USD new, and I can't believe that you have to spend so much for one it should be illegal!....I think that is why we ended up revolting from the Queens taxes and ended up as a new country. :D

:laughings::laughings:

Yeah, you're probably right! I didn't know they had 58's back then though. I learn new things every day! :D
:laughings:

Back