My newest song "BRIGHT NEW DAY"

Strat1958

Late-blooming songwriter!
Just a fun little number I slapped together in record time!

On Saturday I could not convince wifey to get out of bed. The sun was up, the birds were singing, and I wanted to get out of the house and do something! So, while she slept, I quickly wrote this song.

Then we actually did end up making good use of the day.

Yesterday afternoon I programmed the drums, got that recorded, then one thing led to another and before I knew it I had recorded bass, acoustic, electric and vox. The whole thing took about an hour.

I know it sounds a bit sloppy, but as I said, it was just a fun little tune that I wanted to present to my wife as punishment for not getting a move on!!

-Mike

BRIGHT NEW DAY Copyright 2009 by Mike Pilling

Come on get up
Get out of bed
The bright new day is here
It’s time to shake
That sleepy head
Yeah the bright new day shines clear

Sidewalk café
Java bouquet
Come on get up
Get out of bed

There ain’t no time
To lounge about
The sunshine’s streamin’ in
The birds are up
Must I point out
They know when to begin

Soon as you’re awake
We can hike to a mountain lake
Come on get up
Get out of bed

[BR]
I know it feels so cozy
Snuggled in and dozy
But summer don’t last forever
So let’s start our next endeavour…

A month from now
Mark my words
The morning light is grey
That big fat quilt
Is our best friend
We can slowly start the day

But now it’s summertime
The morning breeze is so sublime
Come on get up
Get out of bed

Whoah! The music certainly didn't sound the way I was expecting, with the subject matter being so sunny. That's cool though ... sometimes that's a neat effect.

You've got a nice little groove going there, and the vocal has a great feeling to match.

In my opinion, I would lose the super-compressed lead sound. I like the lead fills and all, but the tone didn't really work for me; it kind of stuck out, IMO.

Overall, excellent job for an hour's work! :)

Thanks for the feedback, famous beagle!

Yes, I purposely went for a bluesy groove, to avoid the cliche of a sunny tune joining up with the sunny lyrics.

There is actually no compression on the guitar, it's just super clean, with some slapback delay, played through my VOX amp, close-miked.

This is the first song I've recorded where I added no reverb at all. It's all dry, with the exception of the aforementioned delay (which I also used on the vocal). I did this so it would sound more intimate.

Thanks again for the comments!

-Mike

Last edited:
Nice track, Mike.

It's got that John Fogerrty-swampy feel that I particularly like.

You can tell that it is a quick and dirty job, and as you say, sounds a bit sloppy.

But I reckon you are heading down the right path with this one . . . and a bit of a tighten-up would work wonders. I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more of that Fogerty kind of energy in the vocals . . . a bit more crunch.

I like the shift to 3/4, and also the chords there . . . unusual, interesting and unexpected!

Well done again!

Dodgeaspen, thanks, I'm glad you like it.

GZ, I actually had you in mind when I did the time shift to 3/4 and used the unexpected chords (G/B7/A/C#7). See, your feedback in the past has helped!

-Mike

Just a fun little number I slapped together in record time!

On Saturday I could not convince wifey to get out of bed. The sun was up, the birds were singing, and I wanted to get out of the house and do something! So, while she slept, I quickly wrote this song.

Then we actually did end up making good use of the day.

Yesterday afternoon I programmed the drums, got that recorded, then one thing led to another and before I knew it I had recorded bass, acoustic, electric and vox. The whole thing took about an hour.

Why is it that the best tunes seem to come quickly? :) No exception here! It's one of your better tracks, Mike. The only suggestion that I have is that it could use a few more instruments, for added depth, but's that's just my taste. It's fine in its current form, my friend.

BTW, when is your album Breathe going to be finished? I definitely want a copy.

Cheers,
Joseph

I think this is one of your best, I really enjoy this tune - I just love your intonation on "lounge about" - don't know why but it just stood out.

As it progresses I am longing for another musical element - Backing vocals - just ohs and ahs on the chord or Hammond, just to thicken it out. I know I love crescendo too much but it has got that big finish potential.

That said it is perfectly great as is

Burt

BTW, when is your album Breathe going to be finished? I definitely want a copy.
It is actually finished now, Joseph, with this song.

I know that it's a bit cumbersome to download an entire album from Soundclick, but that's the way it has to be, for now.

If you do decide to download the "Breathe" album, the intended song order should be:

1. Summer Sun
2. Breathe
3. The Blue Horizon (2nd version)
4. Walk Through Fire
5. You Need A Friend
6. Sweet Like The Rain
7. Bright New Day
8. King Of Pop
9. I Want To Be Here

ido1957 and Burt, thanks very much!

-Mike

Back