My new guitar !!!

teknomike

Oldbie
Just returned from a trip to Michoacan State here in Mexico - a little place known as Paracho, where the town survives on guitar building.
Most of the guitars are cheap and mass produced, but there are a few luthiers that hand construct some amazing instruments.
One of these is Salvador Castillo.

I always wanted a nylon string. But any I had ever played in my price range in Canada were pretty crappy. The only good ones I had played were in the $1500 - $3000 dollar range, which I thought was a bit much, considering I was not a "classical" player. I had heard about Sr. Castillo through a friend at work, and we decided to make the trip up there this weekend.

When we got there, the town was in siesta mode, but we managed to find his father, who has a shop across the street, and hand builds less expensive guitars. He let us into the shop, handed me a concert classical guitar, and we proceeded to wait for Salvador while his father took off on his bike to find him.
I tell you, this guitar was a dream - it just sang. Full bodied, balanced, and LOUD.
Anyway, when Salvador arrived, he informed me that the model I was playing had just been built for a customer, and was not for sale. Bummer.
In fact, he had no classicals available. Bigger bummer.
He offered to build one for me, but I came to buy one that day. Wasn't prepared to wait.
Then he offered me a flamenco to try - hmmm. Never thought of that. Slightly thinner body, funky pickguard, but very nice looking.
Picked it up, and WOW, what a sound. Different from the clasiscal, but in a good way. Not as bassy, but extremely balanced. Soft to loud, the guitar responded precisely to the type of playing. The interplay of harmonics from this thing was phenominal - my buddy said it sounded as though I was playing through some effect during certain passages.
Salvador then proceeded to play - my god, he is some fantastic player - he brought out every nuance from the guitar.
At that point, it was mine, I was in love.
The top is German Spruce, and the back and sides are Spanish Cypress. The smell is intoxicating. French polish, carved headstock, low action, perfect intonation. It's as pleasing to look at as it is to play. I can't wait to see how it records - I just hope I'm able to capture the tone of this thing.

Finally, here's some photos - I will try to get some close ups of the finish and headstock.

Attachments

• Caracha 008 (Small).jpg
    Caracha 008 (Small).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 98
  • Caracha 014 (Small).jpg
    Caracha 014 (Small).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Caracha 021 (Small).jpg
    Caracha 021 (Small).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 83
I have always wanted a nice handbuilt classical guitar.

If you don't mind me asking, how much (USD $) does a quality handmade guitar like that run for in Mexico?

I wouldn't mind taking a nice vacation down there and getting a guitar while I am at it lol.

By the way, a guy I used to work with is from Michoacan. I forget the city. I had no idea that was a guitar place. :)

Salvador Castillo's guitars will run you from about US$1000 to US$1800 (and up) depending on type of wood and style.
The lower priced models are palo escrito (mexican rosewood), and the higher end models use imported woods.
Well worth the trip, should you make it !

Congrats Mike. What a fine looking guitar. If it sounds great now just wait until it opens up and shows it's real voice!!

rpe

Ooh, that's a beautiful guitar!
How does it look for durability? I've got a nylon string from the early 60's that's been through hell. It's got holes, been underwater, been in the sun, been around the world, etc and STILL sounds as good as it did back then.

Back