My new favorite vocal Microphone!

adam_in_audio

I just recently started using the Shure SM7 for vocals and man is it sweet!

I'm a hard rock singer (raunchy baritone style) and this mic is the perfect fit! I still use condensors for some of my more tender and softer stuff but when I need to get down, dirty, and loud this is my go-to microphone.

I got the idea to try it out from one of the other hard rock singers here in Ohio, and I believe he got the tip from Scott Weiland.

It seems to do very well in processing as well, I can get more out of effects with this microphone. What's more is that it is built like a tank, it's got an internal shockmount and a pretty hefty windscreen...which means I can grab the microphone while I'm recording, re-enacting what I do on stage.

The SM7 is a large diapragm dynamic (like the Sennheiser 421 or the EV RE20 but with a different sound altogether) I believe it's original intention was for broadcasting until some audio engineers started tinkering around

anyway, there's my two cents. I'd like to recommend it for all you hard rock/baritone males or raspy females (ex: sheryl crow, bonnie raitt style)
and I was wondering if anyone around this forum has ever used it?

Glad to hear from another SM7 fan!

The entire Unidyne III series is a winner on my voice, even though it's on the other end of the tone spectrum (mellow) from you.

You may also want to get a Beyer Soundstar MKII, which has a similar type sound, for when you perform on stage and want an easier hand held.
They are also called Model 400 or M400, and usually run under $100 used.

Chris

cool!

I'll look into those, I'd love to bring an SM7 type of microphone on stage with me. If the Breyer's work, I'll do just that. Thanks for the advice!

Hey, Harvey says that one never leaves it's stand in his studio, that was good 'nuff for me. I've been looking into buying one. I found one place on-line that has them for $350, and thats the best price I've seen so far. Anybody seen it cheaper. I kind of like to go new just for the warranty, and they are few and far between on e-bay.
Any info?? Thanks,
-k

I got mine new (for the warranty as well) from Broadcasting Supply Warehouse, it was about $350 but well worth it! It doesn't come with a case but it comes with an extra windscreen and a mounting kit. Actually it's kind of a pain in the butt to mount, so now mine doesn't leave it's stand either!!

ive been looking into getting one also. the best prices i found were on ebay. i think rp audio has them for 329$ with shipping and another company on ebay called audio boss was selling them for 309$.

Harvey was also the one who clued me onto the Soundstar MKII BTW.

In fact, at the studio he has one that used to be mine! (still have one at home)

Chris

The SM-7 was just the trick for me on a track I cut the other night. That day and on that singer, it blew everything else away.

I have the Beyer M400, used it live last week at the Warped Tour in San Francisco for my daughter's band. Very rich and sweet sounding.

Chessparov says this is Beyers attempting at mimicing the SM7. Never heard the SM7, but the M400 is sure nice.

The only thing I can think of that sounds like an SM-7 . . . is an SM-7.

Just thought I might try and help clarify that one for ya. :D

I think the vocals of Californication are also recorded with the SM7

I used it on a bass guitar recentely. It gave a well defined and warm sound!

yeah that's a good point, the ONLY vocal setup Anthony Kiedas has ever used is an SM7 and a vintage Urie 1176 compressor. If you watch some of the older videos like "suck my kiss", you'll see him singing with it...it's actually a pretty good advertisement for it because he shakes that mic like crazy in the video. One of the reasons I love it so much is that you can use it like a stage mic when you record and that's as pure as it gets for me :)

BTW: I'm going to have to try it out on the bass if you say you got a good sound from it, I guess that kinda makes sense since it can handle all those spl's!

Greetings all,

I've heard rave reviews of the SM7 for years now but have yet to try one personally. I'll need to give it my bee's nest test before I make the purchase though. Very nice thread! :o

//AdrianFly

adam_in_audio said:
BTW: I'm going to have to try it out on the bass if you say you got a good sound from it, I guess that kinda makes sense since it can handle all those spl's!

Yep, I mixed it down together with a DI signal, but the SM7 gave it a bit more warmth and punch. Especially with Rock, you really should try it on bass

Big Kenny: the other microphones I've used are numerous, everything from a cheapo radio shack (beastie boy lo-fi) to the C14 (almost 'too good' lol) and a few in betweeners like the Sennheiser 421 (also a fave!) and the 1000s (seems 'shiny' or something) ...anyway: I have a hard classic rock singing style (think Billy Idol meets Ian Gillan) and the SM7 has done the trick every single time since I cut my first take with it :). Now I'm no microphone or studio expert by any means but the SM7 seems to be almost exactly EQ'd to fit my voice...it's strange but somehow it works out that way. When I use it I barely have to do a thing besides some de-essing/compression, and sometimes a small amount of reverb (13% plate or so) to add some more thickness. I can't say enough good things about it!! I'm not ashamed to say that I have a technically bad microphone technique (I grab the mic and shake the stands) so it's nice to find that perfectly tailored microphone.

Hey, the right microphones out there for everybody. All they gotta do is test em' out right?

I'll be trying the ole' SM7 out on the bass tommorow per BrettB. I've also heard of people using them for drums, is this true?? It seems as if it's quite the versatile dynamic microphone, kinda like the 421 (you can use em' on anything!)

Back