My new dome studio

TexRoadkill

Audio Bum
I recently acquired an underground dome house to use as a studio. My band and I have been in there for the last month working on our album. It's two story, about 2100 sq/ft and has amazing acoustics.

Normally domes are pretty weird when it comes to acoustics but this place has two special characteristics. It's oval, around 30'x40' at the top level perimeter, and has an open turret in the middle so the sound can diffuse. There's around a 4 second diffused reverb and the drums sound huge.

It's still pretty ghetto but here are some pics.

Attachments

• upper level.jpg
    upper level.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 365
  • turret.jpg
    turret.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 351
  • lower room.jpg
    lower room.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 351
  • lower jam.jpg
    lower jam.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 347
  • guitar.jpg
    guitar.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 346
Some more shots

Attachments

• cello.jpg
    cello.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 337
  • bar.jpg
    bar.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 335
  • drums 2.jpg
    drums 2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 339
  • jammin.jpg
    jammin.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 332
Wow, that place looks great! Btw 57 is the name of a song by Biffy Clyro(band from where I live, now in the charts)... Here's a link

ahhh that has got to be one of the coolest places for a recording pad. you sir, are lucky. and the songs sound amazing to boot.

Man that's awesome. I LOVE dome houses.

What's it look like from outside? Can you put a pic of that?

On 57, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get that vocal effect at 3:40??? I'd greatly appreciate it... sounds Fucking great. Rep points for you.

On 57, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get that vocal effect at 3:40??? I'd greatly appreciate it... sounds Fucking great. Rep points for you.

He's singing through a Beta 58 through a Boss Blues Driver pedal into a tube Leslie Amp that is cranked up pretty good and mic'd about 8ft away with a ribbon mic then added some delay in the mix :D

Thanks for the compliments. It is an awesome place to jam and record. My realtor sent the listing to me as a joke but I had to have it. I'm still trying to negotiate a purchase but it took six months just to get a rental deal on it. The rent is pretty reasonable but I had to get them down to a 1/4 of their original asking price.

...atleast the inside looks good lmfao.

a yo, is that your yard or some jazz? or did you buy a lot?

Man that's freakin'awesome. I bet heating and cooling's gonna be very reasonable with it being underground.
Does that lot all come with it?
Man, I'm envious and I don't get that way too often.
They have an above ground dome around the corner from me that I lust for every time I drive by it.

Very cool man.

Back