My New Axe!!

Mr. Moon

Force of Naked
This is the latest addition to the harem! It was a custom job (bare mahogany body with creme binding), and they liked it so much themselves that they actually have posted it up on their site!!

This guitar plays like a dream! Clear articulation of strings and chords "sing" like none of my other guitars. I wrote a new song (which I'm in the process of recording now) with this guitar within minutes of getting it home, which is usually a good omen for me. If I'm able to write a tune with a new guitar the first time I sit down with it, it's usually a good indication that both the tune and the guitar are "keepers"!

It's a US Masters VXtreme (link)

moonaxe1rw7.jpg

-mr moon

VERY pretty man.
Made me go look at their site. That amp looks interesting too.

Thanks! I have played quite a number of axes in my day (been playing 25+ years), and this has to be in the top 3 without a doubt! It has a very solid feel to it and sounds much more like a vintage LP than a "V" ...I actually never thought I'd like a V because all the ones I've ever played sounded "thin" to me ...same with SG's, just not enough "meat" for my taste.

As far as the amp goes, I picked up one of the TVA30 heads after hearing it for the first time. I then picked up one of the cabinets a few weeks later and had it shipped to me.

The amp is a great complement to my Marshall DSL100, as it isn't "mushy" at all when overdriven at lower volumes, which the DSL100 is. I have tried the TVA30 through my 4x12 recto and 4x10 Marshall cabs, and man! Does it scream!! The only reason I'm keeping the DSL100 at all is for gigging; it sounds great at loud volumes, but to mushy at lower volumes for recording (even with the gain turned way down). I can't wait to use the V30 for the new tunes that I'm recording in a couple of projects I'm currently working with.

If you're ever in the Madison, Wisconsin area, you should call them up and see if you could stop by their factory to check out their stock. I stopped by to pick up an amp from them (I was visiting family in the area), and you would not believe how gracious they were and the amazing guitars they have there.

-mr moon

Last edited:
I don't generally like the V, it's an uncomfortable body shape to me, and they're generally just ridiculous looking, but that is beautiful.

I don't generally like the V, it's an uncomfortable body shape to me, and they're generally just ridiculous looking, but that is beautiful.

My thoughts exactly. The thing that surprised me most about it is the thick LP-style sound that comes out of it. Not a muffled LP tone, but a really open, articulate sound that is amazingly solid. Really hard to get into words... The craftsmanship and attention to detail is really evident when you look at the joints and binding. And honestly, the mahogany looks really 3d and about 5 feet thick when you look into it. I'm thinking this will replace my '92 LP studio (with SD JB and SH-1 PU combo) as my go-to recording axe.

Funny thing, now I'm used to playing *all* my electrics "V-Style" (guitar resting in-between my legs rather than on my rt leg) which is actually more comfortable for long periods of time and easier on the wrists!

-mr moon

Back