My New Album - Sleeves off a Vest: Chopping Wood

ibleedburgundy

The Anti-Lambo
Haha most of you guys are probably surprised I did this seeing as how I mostly cave dwell and lurk elsewhere. Anyway, this is an album I had a lot of fun making with some some old friends. This is a band that is based around having fun. We all write in different styles. The keyboard player writes in his own wacky 'sour notes' style ("Stick it" and 'Swarm of Locusts"). I wrote "Redskins" which has some punk influence and also "Light Years" which is more post rock. Another guitarist writes in a post rock style "Tossing to Sleep," and our bass player writes white boy chill music (Number 9, Home Made, Baba Yaga).

I play mostly guitar (Rickenbacher 650, American Strat ----> Orange Rockerverb 50 combo) but also some drums (Redskins, Baba Yaga, Stick It) and various synths and even some bass. I even play a little classical guitar on "Home Made."

It was all tracked in my basement using PT 6.9/digi 002/Audient asp008/RNP/TwinQ. I used mostly SM57s and 58s and also used some Naiant mics fairly extensively as overheads and on guitar cabs. Jason "Jay" Walsh from Farview did the mixing and John Scrip from Massive Mastering mastered the album. These guys were totally awesome - professional, easy to work with, and resaonably priced. I promise you if this album sounds good it's because of them and whatever sucks is because of us (read: me LOL). There were numerous occasions where Jay made my guitars sound way the hell better than I ever could have. I have no idea how he did it.

There is a back story with the name: Our bass player is Russian and when he gets drunk he starts speaking russian. He would say some phrase - sounds like ruckova au giletkee. - Sleeves off a vest. Anyway we all thought that was funny so it became the band name. Chopping wood is mostly a big F U to his ex wife. She threw a fit one night when we were all chopping wood. Not sure why this was such a big deal. I rather enjoy chopping wood. A lot of times when we jam we also end up chopping wood, building a huge fire, drinking beers, and hilarity inevitably ensues.

Amazon:

Amazon.com: Chopping Wood: Sleeves Off a Vest: MP3 Downloads

CDBaby:

Sleeves Off a Vest | Chopping Wood | CD Baby Music Store

It can also be found on iTunes or where ever else. Give it a sample listen, buy it, or don't. Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:
Hey IBB--I just listened to a few seconds of a few tunes (saw this before I'm headed to bed), but wow--it sounds really well done! I'm gonna come back and check it out tomorrow!

Back