my mixes: need some advice.

CDT-sHaG

I'm trying to learn to get things to sit better in the mix..it seems as if the vocals jump in and out sometimes. If you guys would take the time, would you listen to a few of my tunes?:

http://www.mindsetband.com/cd/

might work better to right-click and DL the mp3..(128 kbps).

these are recordings I did to get the song idea down..I'm playing and singing everything (guitar, bass, vocals), except for the drums (fruity loops)..

they're not really meant to be finished recordings but I would like to polish these up to a higher level as a learning experience....

If anyone is interested I can give details on how things were recorded.

Thank you,

Chris

yeah the vocals could stand to be smoothed out more, volume-wise. Are you compressing the vocals? That would be a good start. Beyond that the only way to keep volumes constant is to work the fader slides during mixdown or if you can automate them have them do it on their own.

otherwise sounds like a nice mix

bsanfordnyc said:
yeah the vocals could stand to be smoothed out more, volume-wise. Are you compressing the vocals? That would be a good start. Beyond that the only way to keep volumes constant is to work the fader slides during mixdown or if you can automate them have them do it on their own.

otherwise sounds like a nice mix

thanks for the feedback...

yes I did try compression..but mostly I ride the faders....on some of the tunes they are smoother..

on that first tune, I'm singing 3 parts and and I rode the faders...I tried a 2:1 at -18db and that helped but when I compressed the whole mix it was too compressed. all of my effects are plug-ins (waves and sonic foundry).

guess I need to really learn about compression and stop using plug-in presets..:)

Back