My mic collection has grown but is it complete?

dreib

Dynamics-
3-SM58
4-SM57
3-GLS57
1-SM7B

Condensors-

1-AT4047/SV
1-OKTAVA MK-319
1-AKG C214
2-MXL 990
1-MXL-2001
1-MXL991
2-NADY CM90

Im going to get on more C214 for a pair then I think Im pretty much covered. I know for some of you guys , you can never have enough mics but I think I can move on to upgrading my interface then maybe a better pre-amp.

A complete mic collection isn't defined by how many you have, but by what you are able to do with the ones you do have.

I don't think it's possible to have too many mics.

Or preamps.

Or guitars.

Or guitar amps.

Or stompboxes.

"Boxes with knobs" as the wife refers to them.

"Complete mic collection" is an oxymoron.

That said, the most useful mics in my collection tend to be Small Diaphragm Condensers which get used everywhere and on everything. There's a bit of a dearth of these on your list.

Ribbon mic in that collection yet?

If the answers no then the collections incomplete.

I hear Betty Ford collected mics too. :)

A ribbon mic would expose how shitty my room is even more, and then make me be one of those dudes that obsesses about first reflections and bass traps. I just don't have the time for that right now.

A ribbon mic would expose how shitty my room is even more, and then make me be one of those dudes that obsesses about first reflections and bass traps. I just don't have the time for that right now.

I'm thinking you'll find time, some time. ;)

There is no "complete" set of microphones as you can get different color from different mics in the same model. That's why they make "matched pairs". I bought to SM57s about six months apart and although they don't sound completely different, there's enough of a difference that I only use the second one for a second mic in any recording condition. But the key is to get the mics that give you the best recordings, know them well enough to know when to use them and GO WITH IT! You've got a great list of mics going, and I am a bit envious of a few of them, but learn the mics and do some great recordings!

Back