My metal guitar tone. Best i've done yet I think.

ericlingus

My setup is Schecter c1 xxx guitar - ubermetal distortion pedal(acting as a TS to tighten up the sound)- Mesa F50 combo - Boss GE7 - dual 57's (fredman technique) - Firebox - Cubse SX3. I recorded two separate takes panned 85 left and right and then another take with a differnt tone a variation on the riffs. Then copied and pasted it and panned hard left and right. All the takes had a DI'ed track going in too which I didnt end up using the way I intended(which was to add amp sim tracks). I just mixed the clean DI really low in the mix for more articulation.

I used EZ drummer with the DFH add on for the drums. I replaced the kick and snare though(well actually blended the DFH ones in slightly, just used the overheads and room mics). I used waves c4 on guitars and did the standard hi pass(60hz) and low pass(12k). I did some other eqing as well in the lows and low mids. I used the L3 over the whole mix.

That's about it. The playing isn't the tightest I know. I just kept the first takes. I was a little pressed for time. I also havent added in bass yet. I will the second time around after following whatever advice you give. Thanks guys!

Unable to initialize a file...... That's the error I get in WMP when I click on the link or after I download the file. Check your link - I'll try later.....:)

Same error, only more steps to get the same results :D..... I retried Rami's link and it worked okay in WMP. So I'm stumped....:confused:

here is another link. Try this. It's only half the sound sample though because the wav to mp3 converter I used only lets me convert half of it. I used different one before which didnt let me upload to lightningmp3.com. Now I can. Anyone half any suggestions on how to export my cubase sx3 file into mp3 without it sounding really degraded? I can do it to wav fine though.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=8120

Okay that link works when I click on it. Try raising the MP3 resolution up to 320kps when converting. Lightningmp3.com will accept it (up to a certain size) and it sounds the best for MP3.

Not familiar with this style of music so I'll do my best....best taken with a grain of salt....

The whole mix was LOUD.... I sort of jumped when it started.
The guitars seems to overpower the drums a tad. I'd take them down a bit. The tone on the guitars is bright and raunchy (good), nice panning and even levels between the guitars......Playing is tight..... Good stuff..... :cool:

heh thanks. At the other site I posted, I got about the opposite reply. Sloppy plyaing, horrible fuzzy/fizzy tone, you suck. But harsh criticism helps:) I'll try your suggestion with the mp3 export. Thanks for listening and commenting. I just did another take with a differnt tone and tighter playing. I'll post it soon.

It sounds pretty good. The guitar tone is a little fizzier than what you would normally hear in that kind of metal. But the "standard" modern guitar tone in metal DOES often sound a little fizzy anyway. Maybe if you used a little bit less gain? Not sure how you are recording it.

Also, the guitar could stand to come down a little.

I comped the track to some As I Lay Dying and Trivium and it was pretty comparable, less maybe a little bit of preference difference between the sound you like and the sound those artists prefer. Pretty impressed, I must say. Nice work.

Yep that link works. I'm not keen on the first half of the clip, but I like the tone on the last 13 seconds

I could use a tone like that.

It's a tad fizzy but that's fine, it's got a hint of the growl I like the best.
I'm personally more into "Dismember"-kinda growling boulder-avalanche type of sound, never got close though.
But that kinda riffing needs the snarl of heavy distortion.

thanks for the replies guys. I think i'd benifit greatly from a new cab. I'm using my speaker in my amp right now. It's semi open back though, which a celestion black widow. If I got a 4x12 closed back cab with v30's, I think it'll make a big difference, like what you hear in my last clip(although greenbacks were added a bit too)

here is another link. Try this. It's only half the sound sample though because the wav to mp3 converter I used only lets me convert half of it. I used different one before which didnt let me upload to lightningmp3.com. Now I can. Anyone half any suggestions on how to export my cubase sx3 file into mp3 without it sounding really degraded? I can do it to wav fine though.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=8120

Choose MPEG-Layer3 and choose "highest quality" ad also 320kbps.
The Cubase MP3 convertor is really good in my opinion.
I cant really tell much difference between 320kbps MP3 and .WAV!

The guitar tone sounds cool. The high mids are a bit too dirty and the low mids could do with a clean up.
But still pretty good.

Eck

yeah I got the mp3 thing sorted out thanks. I agree about the guitar tone. I'm gonna experiment more today and hopefully come up with something better. Thanks for listening and commenting.

I comped the track to some As I Lay Dying and Trivium and it was pretty comparable, less maybe a little bit of preference difference between the sound you like and the sound those artists prefer. Pretty impressed, I must say. Nice work.

I actually know the Trvium guitar chain.

Not a lot of gain at all. In fact, you would want to put a TS808 in front of the amp, bass around 4 mids around 5-6 treble at 6-7 and presence boosted. This works well on a dual rectifier amp.

The pre they used, if I remember (last album was tracked over a year ago, and this studio changes gear a lot)is the Vintech X series.

Back