My masterlink is DOA

ruebarb

took in to be repaired last week..(it died 2 mos. ago, but I didn't have the funds to repair out of warranty)

replacement parts are scarce....even worse, it's the mainboard that died...it'll cost $500 bucks to fix...

is it worth it, or should I just use a spare comp and some mastering software and a $99 buck burner to do a better job....

whadda think?

RB

I would go that route myself. Well, in fact I did long ago. I use a Masterlink sometimes at the studio, but it is more of a pain in the butt than going straight to a PC.

Good luck.

Ed

MasterLink

I was considering buying one of these machines. Being experienced users do you suggest I use PC instead?

Just curious

This is just my opinion... I like mixing down to hardware rather that software but it is really not always the best way to go. Considering mixing to software allows you to take immediate advantage of things like normalize, trim edits, and fades. Then you can easily save multiple formats like 24/48 mixes, 16/44.1, MP3, real audio, and all that. Then you can burn that to a back up disk. Then to just turn around a burn a audio CD... That's just nice.

Lets say you go with a dedicated computer and burner... You finish up you new CD or whatever project you are working on. Now you need 100-1000 CDs pressed. Hmmm... One burner??? Just go cop 2 more and hook those up too. Now you're ready to do short runs for churches and all that. Charge em cost plus $.50/per for sitting there watching em burn. Just something to keep in mind while you're deciding. Gotta make sure you computer and software can handle multiple burners though. I’m thinking cheap pawnshop computer, Nero, and Firewire burners myself… Firewire cuz I might can slip a DVD writer in there to.

Peace

Last edited:
MasterLink

Thanks for your input, always good to hear other peoples ideas!
I am considering buying the masterlink and at least trying it. Seems like every 3rd month a new product comes along and makes me rethink everything lol

Anyway all part of the fun of doing what we Love I guess.

Dave

MasterLink

Haven't purchased a MasterLink yet, not for another couple of months. Probably buy the time I do the price will be half!!

I downloaded the manual and it looks user friendly in operation, so that's a bonus.

/\ Yeah the Masterlink is really self explanatory. If you know what all the words mean/do, you'll pick it up quick lol

I got my masterlink brand new in the box off ebay last year for 750.00 with warantty cards and everything. (Stolen? possibly lol) . Haven't had any problems with it yet. (knock on wood)

I'm planning on buying a AKAI DPS16 and a Mackie 16 channel mixer and the MasterLink, I'm hoping this will be a good combination.

Thanks for the replys guys.

I think I still need a mixer Shockwave for channel and pan control.

But I am considering getting the DPS24 instead of the DPS16. I'll have to download the DPS24 manual to find the difference besides an additional 8 tracks.

MasterLink Dead?

I bought the Alesis ML-9600 MasterLink and guess what? After opening the box I connected the power and turned it on and it came on. I turned it off and two weeks later turned it on again and guess what?? NO POWER...CRAP!!! I live in Canada I called B&H Photo where I bought it and they said to ship it straight to Alesis for repair...my confidence in Alesis has been shakin....

DAve

I still say that the Masterlink isn't as good of a route to go as a DAW with a decent soundcard and software. Comparable A/D/A converters on a soundcard as to the Masterlink's can be had for fairly cheap, and a software package with some decent plugin's might cost a few more bucks (now...the masterlink was about $500 more when it came out...do you ever wonder if these QC problems have anything to do with the cost on them coming down a LOT? :D).

With the DAW/Software route, you can see the wave form, edit it FAR easier, use just about any A/D/A converter and plugin for "mastering" you want. The Masterlink doesn't HAVE any "plugin's". You are stuck with it's onboard DSP for "mastering", and try doing a cross fade edit on one!!! It is a bitch compared to doing the same in software.

If you need a decent hi res recording machine to say record stereo stuff at a live gig or something, the Masterlink would work very well for you. Other than that, I think the DAW route is a much better long term solution.

Ed

Back