My marshall cabinet buzzes on a low A

Randy5235

I checked almost everything on it,all the screws are tight ,the speakers themselves are in excellant condition,the only thing I can think of is that,since there is no cushion of any kind in the cabinet(to absorb and reflect waves)maybe I'm having a standing wave problem??I bought this used and as I stated the speakers are in excelleant condition but there is no fluffy stuff inside,as I've seen on other cabinets???ANy ideas??thanks Randy5235

Sounds like a mechanical problem. you might have to add some screws and maybe caulk it with liquid nail or something. I don't believe adding fiber glass insulation baffle will stop the buzz but it will tighten up the bass response. Just my opinion.

I've heard that the insulation helps to stop standing waves within a cabinet,since it only buzzes on low A and no other notes,I believe that that would be the resonant frequency of the cabinet,So adding some bulk(ie.insulation) would probably help disperse the sound waves and add mass which SHOULD (in theory anyway) change the resonant frequency of the cabinet?AM I way off?

the guy that plays guitar with me had the same problem. We found it to be a combination problem of a very low note at a very high volume.. (playing a sustained low B note)

We added a second cab and the problem went away.. As far as adding insulation I dont really think that to be the best idea. It would mess with the over all tone of a marshall cab, but its worth a try I guess.

You found a note that is at or close to the resonant (characteristic) frequency of the box. Many things can be done to change its resonance, but this will likely end up being a shift in frequency such that it resonates on some other note or combination thereof. It is worth trying to manipulate though, and insulation may do the job, hopefully not to the detriment of the overall sound.

On my 2X12 combo I found that the speakers buzzed even with their mounting screws tight. I only found this by plugging in at high volume, plugging my ears, sitting behind the open back and ringing the note while applying pressure to the speaker magnets in different directions. What I thought were tight screws were not tight enough. Those speaker rims (or lips) can really slam against the cabinet at points where they are not bolted down (between mounting screws), and this vibration must be absorbed. I added strips of masking tape around the perimeter of the cabinet holes to accomplish this. What worked for me may not be related to your situation, but it's something to ckeck.

Back