my little but effective tutorial on compression and noise gate..

did this help you?

• its about time we had a practical thread! well done Naeem

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • boring!!!! ZZZZZzzzzz!

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

n4eem

hey guyz, there are soo many musicians out there who still dont understand what compression and noise gate really do, now i dont want to go on and explain each and every little bit where it just starts to get boring, but ive decided to do some samples on my freinds vocals, hopefuly after listening to these samples, you would now go! "ohhh god!! so thats what a compression and noise gate effect really do! wow im going to try that"

ok here it goes...

1) please be aware the vocals are of indian lyrics..

2) click on the link below and click on the appropiate listeningss..

3) i realy do hope you will find this thread interesting!

4) do turn up your volumes to hear difference!! enjoy..

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=565759

Why are so many Indian tracks distorted, particularly on the vocal?

Yours wasn't, but I do wonder why this seems to be the norm on the records I've heard.

distort? probably what youve herd is the cheap qualitys or summat, but i dont remember them being distorted as such :confused:

Too much compression smashes Dynamic's to bits. Compression does exactly what it says it does, compresses. Takes the loudest parts and makes them lower, and the lower parts brings them up. I drew the picture in Paint, tried to make the second thing similar to the first, but I suck at re-tracing things. The _ _ _ _ _ _ _ represents the dynamic's. The arrows represent what compression does...

Attachments

• Simple Compression.jpg
    Simple Compression.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 34
Back