My Little Box of Wires

RAMI - yeah I'm completely insane. Curious on your impressions once you get a few minutes to listen. I was doing cartwheels down the hall when you said you loved the guitars BTW.
Don't want you to think I forgot you. It's a long story, but if my gym is busy, then I can't listen to music here because the speakers in the gym are being used and I have music pumping into them from here. It's been a busy day in the gym.

Hopefully, later tonight I'll be able to listen again.

I think I do actually remember this from last time you posted it Trip - probably because it's a cool title for a song.

I listened to mix 2. I could still go for a little more volume on the vocals I think - the lyrics in the chorus are easy enough to make out, but I lose a few phrases in places in the verses. It's mainly the point up to that first chorus that I struggle with I think. Lyrical clarity is one of those things that's almost impossible to gauge in your own mixes.

Tune is cool though, reminded me of the Shins. Nice tones on the guitars and bass.

Ok, finally got a listen to Mix #2. Sorry about that. I have to admit that I did forget about it and I was sitting here and hit me.

I think it sounds great. I still love the bigness of the guitars. Drums sound organic and drive the tune well. I still think they sound a little boxy, but that might just be the room they were recorded in. Vocals are at a good level, too. I hear what you're singing, but this is a guitar tune as far as I'm concerned. So, I wouldn't want in your face vocals. I think the mix is great the way it is.

No pops, either. :D

Dude you gotta find a PC. No excuses. :)

I have a laptop but the speakers suck, and I'm not crazy about headphone listening. I have a pc in my studio, but it's almost 100 yards from the house and has a metal roof and siding ...so I can't pick up the wireless signal out there. I supposedly have drop box, but I haven't had any luck with my phone and this tune.

I'll get my laptop out in a bit and listen to it on the cheap ass speakers

I read that Jerry Lee Lewis didn't want to listen to his finished records on the fine stereos the studios had. He took them home and played them on his stereo....the cheapest stereo he could find. He said ; "The only way to judge a record is to listen to it on a cheap ass stereo...because all my fans have cheap ass stereos"
:)
If this sounds good on the cheap ass laptop speakers....it is good!
lol

.....the lyrics in the chorus are easy enough to make out, but I lose a few phrases in places in the verses. It's mainly the point up to that first chorus that I struggle with I think.

I thought the same but I think it's just the nature of the song. I don't think volume would necessarily make the lyrics clearer, just louder. It's one of those songs that would have people searching for the lyrics to sing along or end up singing the wrong lyrics in places. (You know, like people do)

I think Mix2 sounds great Trip. Had a couple of listens late last night and just on my 3rd run through now. I'd still bring the Toms down a touch here and there but that's probably a personal taste thing.

This is going on my Drum Along Playlist. :thumbs up:

Thanks Mr. Clean. Ya know, I think I am going to turn the toms down. I liked the way they were played, and they're used sparingly. So that's why I had them pretty loud. But I think it's a bit too much. Appreciate the listen.

Not sure if anyone else hears it but after the guitar intro, the whole mix gets squished like a compressor is kicking in.
I had that on one of mine where the drums did an intro roll. What I did (sort of worked) was turned down the level on just the intro on the drums and the compressor didn't seem so apparent.
The balance of everything is good for me. The vocals are fabulous, as is the writing. Just a catchy song that I enjoyed the whole time listening.
Subjective thoughts - The snare is a little boxy. The cymbals seem a little crispy and loud.

I like this quite a bit! Great vocals, and very very good vocal melody. Good raw mix, it's like a punk mix of a more pop song.

I think that the lead vocal needs more space, it seems to be competing with the guitars on the sides and the snare up the middle. The backup vocals on the sides come through fine, and they even seem to mask the lead vocal a bit. Maybe I'm just too close to my monitors since I'm typing as I listen...the lead guitar seems to be doing the same thing.

That one rack tom on the drum kit is really resonant, it booms every time it's hit. Maybe an EQ cut would tame that resonant "oof" it has. The ride cymbal could come down a notch or two as well.

Really a great song man, I like what you're doing.

I like mix 2 best. Lead guitar is too loud by a couple hairs, and at around 1:20 there's a tom fill that needs a little attention, maybe. This is a piece where style matters so much. I think it works. It seems like everything is louder than everything else.

Thanks Creep. I'll take a listen to the lead guitar. I'm also paying attnetion to the "everything louder than everything else" comment. A few people have mentioned issues with the guitar and lead vocal. I'm guessing that's the biggest thing behind your observation. I might spend some time try to get those tracks out of each other's way.

Thanks again.

Thanks Creep. I'll take a listen to the lead guitar. I'm also paying attnetion to the "everything louder than everything else" comment. A few people have mentioned issues with the guitar and lead vocal. I'm guessing that's the biggest thing behind your observation. I might spend some time try to get those tracks out of each other's way.

Thanks again.

Yeah, but it could be a style thing, too - which is why I am hesitant to straight up say it doesn't work - I think it works.

Everything is pretty articulate, it's just right up in your face.

The backup memories could be lowered a little, they mask the lead vocal, which could come up just a little in volume. Agree with the comments on the toms. the ride cymbal (right side) cold be lowered a little, it really takes over the bridge and final chorus.
Love the 70s sound of this.

Hey Trip... how've you been? It's been a while.

Agreed with others on the guitar levels.

Another idea you can ignore (or not).

Have you tried listening to a reference track from someone like the Beach Boys or some early 60's pop bands through your monitoring set up? That might shed some light on the vocal levels and other balance issues as well.

Cool tune! Seems like a few of us are coming back from the dead as it were. Great to see you here!

I think this is a great tune. Catchy, and has very good lyrics. I love the harmony on the vocals. I agree with Rami that the drums have a kind of boxy sound to them. Not really boxy just slightly boxy.
very well written song and great recording. I enjoyed it!

Back