My january tewn.. mix still warm.. plz hlp fx.. ty

Khompewtur

*Retired*
I just finished a preliminary mix of this one, which i've been working on over the past week. Let me know if you're detecting any errors or mix issues. I'm not sure where it ended up in terms of overall levels and whatnot.

Also any comments on compression, clarity, reverb usage, etc.. always helpful and appreciated.

Here be the link:

"Lord Viceroy"

Listening...

Interesting intro - Some ground noise in the guitar? - A pitch shifter would be really nice on the "under voice" - Nice haunting feel around 2:00 - Guitar at 2:30 reminds me of Def Leppard's first album... Very cool - Background video whine around 3:40 in and out; could be part of the tune...

I might have to save this one... Pretty cool...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Khompewtur,

The tune sounds really nice so far! :)

About the vocals and this genre of music;

It seems to me, either you want perfect clarity of the words or you want the vox to just be another flavor in the sound?

I kind of felt myself wanting the background dialog to be larger and more obscured or blurred somehow, so that I have to really fight to hear to the message. I am not sure what to suggest on a technical level to achieve this?

The bass guitar work in particular was very tasty. Me likes!:cool:

Cheers! :)

Pretty cool but it sounds like the mids are too scooped. The vocal effects might sound a little less crispy if you rolled off the high end on them a touch. I like that opening riff.

Way cool freaky tune.

The bass tone is great.

Excellent sense of dark urgent tension unfolds throughout.

I can easily envison like a (I think it's called) pre-verb effect on the lead vocal
(Hard to describe, but where it sounds like it's surging in masked in a reversed breath or hiss sound.)

In places I can also envison the secondary vocal done in some form of distressed manner to give it another dimension.
(Maybe seperate clips for each word that are strung together in a jump cut fashion so that it becomes a fractured sentence with a disjointed cadence like bad mono film audio on a reel that has been spliced back togeather a few times, but in this instance applied like the voice of a dangerous emotion that is on the fritz.)

Don't know exactally, but it's a cool tune.
(I'll have to check out more.)
:)

Ok, thanks for all the feedback people. I went back and tried to mix up the panning on the drums a little bit.

Massive Master - thanks for the review Master. I like the setup of your website, cool intro. I figured since that second voice sounded pretty low, pitch shifting it even lower would sound pretty demonic. All the noise and clanking at 3:40 is part of the recording, i wanted to give a very dirty feel to that part. Thanks for posting.

Ghost - Hi Ghost, you will be happy to know I spent yesterday hanging with a friend from Vancouver so I've got my canada points covered. I'm still thinking about what to do about the vocals, theres been some great suggestions so far and I like these ideas people are tossing about. Thanks for the review Ghost.

TexRoadkill - Thanks for the feedback Tex. I might have left the mids a bit bare in spots and even in others i just skipped a guitar part completely. Yeah i had to use a de-esser on some of those vox tracks to tame them a bit and they were still a bit wooly.

BillyFurnett - Thanks for the review Billy but uhm.. i'm curious where do you get all the time to be reviewing these tunes man, aren't you supposed to be like making out with Betty? Hmm... get to work man. Those suggestions you made about the vox were very good, i may search around for the kind of effects you described. Good analogy too with the splice reel thing.

Musart - Thanks very much for listening musart and for your kind comments and feedback.

Loved it..near the end got kinda Tool-ish...Excellent!
Actually ..i gotta say that i dont dislike any that i heard...excellent stuff!
Definitly Tool crossed with Jethro Tull!

that is funny stuff..

chad - o the horror, i will reply to you over there. Hey that line's from a smartbox song. I keep talkin with Shaun about more.

Markaholic - thank you for the listen, you know i really like Tull's stuff. Tool's great too, hard not to be influenced by them.

Sabbath - i had some fun with the bass here, it feels different from guitars and the change is good.

buzzz buzzzzz ... 1:57 a.m. buzz going on......

LOVE the electric drum buildup.

Freaky tune man, I would have liked to hear a louder guitar. Sounds like the guitar sound is perfect, just buried in the mix.

Man, what a freaky tune, I keep looking around my shoulder to see if someone's trying to kill me :D

Back