My homeboy got a major deal...

mentalattica

Just a Home Recorder
I just found out that one of my boys I used to hang with back home got a major deal with Capitol, I haven't heard from him in years but I still got his demo CD they were making before I moved...lol might be worth something in the future. He did everybody dirty though once he found out a few labels were interested, him and my cousin were like brothers and they were in a four man R&B group but he pretty much went solo and said "f*ck yall, I'm the star and yall ain't sh*t". He split from the singing group and has let his little bit of fame get to his head already by completely abandoning everyone. I had to go check the capitol records website to verify what I heard was true. I still wish him the best though, check him out online J. Holiday.

mentalattica said:
I just found out that one of my boys I used to hang with back home got a major deal with Capitol, I haven't heard from him in years but I still got his demo CD they were making before I moved...lol might be worth something in the future. He did everybody dirty though once he found out a few labels were interested, him and my cousin were like brothers and they were in a four man R&B group but he pretty much went solo and said "f*ck yall, I'm the star and yall ain't sh*t". He split from the singing group and has let his little bit of fame get to his head already by completely abandoning everyone. I had to go check the capitol records website to verify what I heard was true. I still wish him the best though, check him out online J. Holiday.

I'll definitely peep it!

Yep. It's official. Congrads to him. But, sorry ta hear he acted the way he did. I can't really say much about that cause I don't now what went on.

Damn, he has Dark Child on a production. He's good no doubt.

Sometimes getting signed major is more stressfull and causes more headaches then needed. I'll still with publishing music for now.

is that the first signed artist of 07 right there? it's a shame how they see the light and forget everything else until the light goes out

DesertEase said:
is that the first signed artist of 07 right there? it's a shame how they see the light and forget everything else until the light goes out

So true. Cause after it's all said and done, the true FAM will always be there.

DesertEase said:

Actually he's been signed for close to a year from what I hear, but they're just starting to get him moving. Guess they wanted to mold him a little. I don't know 100% of what went down between him and the group but from what it sounds like he has forgotten...

Beats where'd you see he has a joint with DarkChild? I didn't really get a chance to listen to any of his songs.

Yeah that's him, thanks for the link. I hope he does it big though because there aren't too many people reppin' D.C. openly in hip-hop/r&b.

I know it's not an issue of whether he's nice with his, rather than his attitude! But Ment your Homeboy is sick!
Very Neo-ish.............
I hope it works out too~
Keep us posted with anything else that pops up, I'll most definitely cop that. That kind of singing is right up my alley.......

Marvin, Marvin, Marvin, ooohhh you set the world on fire!

I hear a young Marvin Gaye in him too!

Last edited:
Daz Wuz Up!!!!!!! D.C. Baby! "I say we movin uuuppp, movin on up, to the east siiiide"!!!!! _Jeffersons_

mentalattica said:

hmm I don't know the whole story, but if you guyz were tight. Is it possible that Capitol told him to drop everyone he was hangin with otherwise no deal?

I've only read stories like this before where that labels force members out. If they feel that can't market it. Sometimes the bottom line is all about money with labels. Perhaps not the case.

For example:
I think groups like destiny child - boyance k. says needs to go solo. Really?
I think groups like No Doubt - Gwen S. says needs to go solo. Really?
I think groups like Black Eye Pie - Fergie needs to go solo. Really? ( ok I don't know about this one)

but I think you guyz get what I'm saying here.

keep in mind I have no proof this is happening since I don't know these people. It might not be even true. This is just my perspective to another possibility.

Last edited:
actually Destiny's Child thing really happened. They sold millions upon millions of copies with The Writing On The Walls album (8X platinum??)... Just boyance by herself isn't pulling as much as that sold.

But the idea your stating behind it is logical. I also believe it happens as I witness it first hand, not from any very famous people, but I was talking to my teach, and a good sized local band came in, friends with us, and started talking to us. It was just the drummer & Guitarist. And then they asked how can they better make it of course, and then my teach said to get rid of their lead vocalist & bass player. So they started breaking up a couple months later, going on their separate paths like the teach stated, and are doing better than before, making a little extra $$ than before etc. They didn't really "kick" out the vocalist, he left saying he needed to go solo after a talk with us. So he did, and things went better.

Trumpspade said:
I know it's not an issue of whether he's nice with his, rather than his attitude! But Ment your Homeboy is sick!
Very Neo-ish.............
I hope it works out too~
Keep us posted with anything else that pops up, I'll most definitely cop that. That kind of singing is right up my alley.......

Marvin, Marvin, Marvin, ooohhh you set the world on fire!

I hear a young Marvin Gaye in him too!
Marvin Gaye HIMSELF was from DC!

Take that, Shitty- sorry, "Dirrty Souff'" haha

jibran said:
Marvin Gaye HIMSELF was from DC!

Take that, Shitty- sorry, "Dirrty Souff'" haha

I didn't know MG was from Chocolate City..............

Well, dude got it honest!

Hot to Deff!

it's a shame how they see the light and forget everything else until the light goes out

yes it is, but you shouldn't forget... it can't be about the team, the clique, the fam allt the time.

the other cats should wish him well, right...it's a great opportunity, the fuck-you attitude is uncalled for, though.

jmarques said:
hmm I don't know the whole story, but if you guyz were tight. Is it possible that Capitol told him to drop everyone he was hangin with otherwise no deal?

Could be. Happends all the time. The label has the power. I've seen it first hand as a producer. It's how it is. Cause at the end it's about money and not about family, friends, or the crew. That's why if you are producing an artist to get signed you make a contract! At least if they make it big you can get paid for what you did.

Just wish the artist would just tell you how it is and leave on good terms instead of having no folks to bring you up after it's over. That's how I felt.

Could have been Capitol told him to lose the group but if that was the case, and I'm speaking personally, I would have let everyone know why I'm leaving the group and try to leave on good terms even though some feelings would be hurt. But my cousin, one of the groups members, doesn't have any hard feelings towards the dude. And I definitely don't because it never directly affected me in any way, that's why I wish him the best and hope he succeeds.

Ya, I feel you. Not pointing any fingers at all. Just the topic came up and we brought our experience into it.

I wish everyone good fortune.

Dealing with Capitol before, I know that's how they do things over there. They're quick to spot the one in the clique or group that they think is the most talented and the best fit for their label and coerce the artist to split (doesn't necessarily need to be on bad terms, but it does need to be done).

Back when I lived in Dallas, Capitol was wanting to make a deal with myself and another dude under the same small indie label. In all honesty, all I did was a couple of compilation tracks, but they listened and liked mine and the other dude. Problem was they wanted me and him to split and go solo. I was fine with it and so was other dude, but the owner of the label got pissed off because they didn't want his son in the deal so he got jealous and fucked it all up.

Not even trippin' on it really (I wouldn't be able to do half the shit I do now if I took that deal), but there's an example of it happening right there to somebody ya'll know.

Edit: Oh yeah, and if I find the mp3's of that compilation, I'll zip it up and upload it. I was known as Mista Rook then, but hell I was just doing those for fun and experience.

Fie.

Yeah Fiev I look at things that way too, everything happens for a reason. There's a reason it didn't work out for you back then, but as time went on as with everything we get older and smarter. So now you can probably get a better deal than what you were offered then just because you put that much more time in the game and learned new things. I definitely wanna hear the tracks if you can find em'

Back