My home studio is finally complete!

Tadpui

After years of wanting a dedicated studio space, and months of enduring the construction process, my home studio is finally finished.

I just wanted to share some before and after pics, as well as a few in-progress shots. I'm really pleased with how it turned out, so humor me while I show it off a bit.

First, a shot of where I did all of my recording for 10 year prior to now. 3 concrete walls, concrete floor, an acoustical nightmare. The carpet remnants on the floor and walls was a nice touch as well.

WP_20140718_12_55_47_Pro (Small).jpg

And my guitar area, complete with all of the junk that I'd accumulated over the course of having a big, unfinished basement:

WP_20140718_12_56_03_Pro (Small).jpg

The support beam and drain that were a challenge to work around. They ended up inside the double wall between the studio and the rest of the basement:

WP_20140718_12_56_14_Pro (Small).jpg

A different perspective of the "before" studio. Just lovely!

WP_20140718_12_56_42_Pro (Small).jpg

Fast forward a few weeks and the existing framing was gone (that's the only part of this that I did myself...I hired out all of the actual construction). We did away with the two framed-in closets that were there and just made the room a big rectangle. This vastly increased my square footage, and gives me a nice open area to maneuver microphones, stools, guitars, etc.

We went with Roxul Safe 'n Sound as the insulation, although I understand that the pink stuff would have been just as effective in this application. At this point, the room was insanely dead...almost totally anechoic. It was uncomfortable to even be in the room. It felt like my ears were clogged up when there was almost zero reverb in the room.

They installed a 2nd set of ceiling joists that were decoupled from the bedroom floor above and rested it on the walls of the studio. So it's almost a room-within-a-room design. Then they filled the cavity with more Roxul. It's remarkably effective at keeping the noise out of the master bedroom directly overhead.

WP_20141031_21_11_54_Pro (Small).jpg

WP_20141031_21_12_15_Pro (Small).jpg

Fast forward several more weeks and it's starting to look like an actual room. Drywall is up, one layer of 5/8", one layer of 1/2" with Green Glue in-between. The first layer is all sealed airtight with acoustical caulk. You can also get an idea of the double wall that straddles the I-beam and drainage from the upstairs bathrooms:

WP_20141125_14_45_36_Pro (Small).jpg

Then just last week the finishing touches started going in. Halogen track lighting, a couple coats of paint, laminate wood flooring. I even moved in my GIK soffit traps right away:

WP_20141230_17_10_01_Pro (Small).jpg

An exterior shot of the room, with the double doors. The interior studio door is a metal exterior door/jamb with weather stripping to keep it airtight. The exterior studio door is a solid-core wooden door that's nice and heavy.

WP_20141230_17_10_24_Pro (Small).jpg

Then I got my desk all set up. It's a Middle Atlantic MDV-DSK and two MDV-R12 side racks. One holds my computer and a couple of patch bays, and the other is currently storage. They're both on casters, so the storage rack can roll into the room to provide a surface to hold a mouse, tuner, beverage, etc. The computer rack is too tied down by cables to be rolled much of anywhere, but it's still nice to be able to easily rotate it to facilitate plugging/unplugging cables.

Also there are a couple of GIK Tri-Traps resting on the soffit traps in the corners, as well as a couple of GIK Monster Bass Traps at the first reflection points on the walls:

WP_20141231_01_17_16_Pro (Small).jpg

Then I got the ceiling cloud mounted at the first reflection point on the ceiling. These are two GIK 244 Bass Traps:

WP_20141231_18_16_25_Pro (Small).jpg

The other end of the room is guitar heaven. On the walls are 3 GIK Monster Bass Traps, the outer 2 have range limiters on them. A few stools for sitting and jamming, and my growing amp collection (Mesa Lone Star Special, Traynor YCV80, Fender 68 Deluxe Reverb, Marshall DSL40CST). Mister Paul and Mister Tele are also present:

WP_20141231_18_17_04_Pro (Small).jpg

I'm still astounded that this is my own space. It's really a dream come true, I've been daydreaming of having a space like this for over a decade. And now to see it in reality, I'm beside myself. I still have some work to do to control the low frequencies in the room, there's a couple of pretty big peaks and nulls to address. But otherwise I love how it sounds. Lively but not too lively. I'll probably dampen it a bit more as I get to know the room a bit better. There is a slight ring after I clap in the middle of the room, so some additional absorption or some diffusion will be in order. And I need a multi-guitar rack to neatly hold all of my instruments.

---------- Update ----------

Argh...seriously, none of the image links worked? Hmmm...I'll figure out where I can host them for direct linking. Dropbox apparently doesn't like it.

*edit* OK, I hosted the photos on Flickr. I'll see if I can get rid of the thumbnails so you don't have to click through to their site to see the pics.

*edit* I finally conquered the image uploader and inline feature. Thanks Steen!

Last edited:
Hey,
I think the problem might be with the brackets and spaces in the address. Not certain though.
Right click>open in new window works fine, but embedding doesn't seem to.

If you have them on your computer you should be able to upload them directly to HR server instead of referencing another site. :)

Hey,
I think the problem might be with the brackets and spaces in the address. Not certain though.
Right click>open in new window works fine, but embedding doesn't seem to.

If you have them on your computer you should be able to upload them directly to HR server instead of referencing another site. :)

I agree, something about the URL must be messing with it. Flickr isn't much better, with the annoying thumbnail pics and links to the originals. I can't figure out how to upload them here and reference them inline. Is that via the file attachment utility?

What are these? Pictures for ants?!

In all seriousness, the studio looks nice! Some cable management will top it off.

Yeah, stoopid thumbnails are irritating me. I'll keep trying to sort it out.

I'm trying to figure out what to do for cable management. I saw a thing at Ikea that's like a wire trough that you attach underneath your desk, and it makes a channel where your cables can lay out of sight. It's a mess back there right now!

I agree, something about the URL must be messing with it. Flickr isn't much better, with the annoying thumbnail pics and links to the originals. I can't figure out how to upload them here and reference them inline. Is that via the file attachment utility?

Yeah, when you click the icon to insert an image you should see two tabs. One for 'from URL' and one for 'from computer'.
The 'from computer' one should let you do multiple images at once. I guess you can move the code around as you wish afterwards?

Everything worked except the last 2 pics. Nice job. Now go and mess up that room and make it look used! :D

Everything worked except the last 2 pics. Nice job. Now go and mess up that room and make it look used! :D

Thanks! For some reason it has decided to ditch some of my attachments. I re-uploaded 3 of them, hopefully they stay put this time.

The room got a nice workout over the holiday. A friend came in from out of town and we had some fun jamming a recording a little. So it's looking much more used now :)

I tried recording some acoustic guitar last night and the room is definitely too lively when a condenser mic is listening. I'll have to add more absorption and see how it sounds after that.

Attachment #91073 & 91074 still are not showing up.

Thanks Mike. I uploaded them yet again. I don't understand what's happening to them...they look fine immediately after I edit the post, but seem to go away within a few hours. Hopefully they stick this time.

YAY - you finally got the last pics visible. If you're still having some sound issues, you definitely want to add traps/superchunks in the back corners (guitar wall). And you may need some more absorbion on your side walls (can't tell what you've got besides the first reflection point traps).
Very jealous of your space! Like many here, I've got a small room, and whenever I want to use something/anything, I've got to pull it out from its storage area and hook eveyrthing up.

damn nice job man. :)

A good feeling isn't it? the flooring, the colors...all good man.

What's your overall dimensions now?

YAY - you finally got the last pics visible. If you're still having some sound issues, you definitely want to add traps/superchunks in the back corners (guitar wall). And you may need some more absorbion on your side walls (can't tell what you've got besides the first reflection point traps).
Very jealous of your space! Like many here, I've got a small room, and whenever I want to use something/anything, I've got to pull it out from its storage area and hook eveyrthing up.

I agree, I've only got the front corners and the first reflection points covered now. I'm definitely going to trap those rear corners (guitar wall). I need a rug as well, so my pedal board doesn't slide around. So maybe having a 5x7 rug would help a bit since both the floor and ceiling are untreated in my tracking area. It sounds pretty good from the listening position, save for some bass issues. I think I'll use the soffit traps floor-to-ceiling in the front corners and the tri-traps floor-to-ceiling in the rear corners.

damn nice job man. :)

A good feeling isn't it? the flooring, the colors...all good man.

What's your overall dimensions now?

Thanks! It's not a large room by any means, about 13.5' x 17'. But I feel like I have so much room now that it's arranged this way. It's certainly less cramped than it was before! I do still need to somehow fit an electric piano in here...that one may need to be decoration in some other room.

Very well done.

Now you just need a nice Indian rug in the center of wood floor for the final touch. :)

No lava lamp? What is the world coming too?

Nice digs. Too bad there isn't enough room to separate a tracking room from mixing room. Looks like with a couple of adjustments the room would have a good sound for tracking. But a good tracking room is not a good mixing room.

Still pretty nice.

Back