my guitar is broke i think

Ledmech

Hey guys, still new to the forums here so.........hey.

My neighbor gave me an old Gibson Epiphone and sorry I don't know what model it is. The problem is when I try to tune it up. The hardware on the bottom (where the strings thread through) starts to pull up when I tighten the strings. I know its supposed to come up a little but it seems to come up pretty high. And after I tune it I can put it down for 15 minutes, pick it up, and it is outta tune again.

Does that mean that the body of the guitar is just rotten or something? Or is there a way to fix this?

Thanx for any help......lata

First things first.

Is there a bar or a screw hole on the bottom face of the hardware? Do you see springs?

If you do, that is good.

I had a Strat and I found I was using too heavy a gage of strings. Try lighter ones.

As for going out of tune, you need to stretch the strings after you put them on.

But I second going to a repair shop so they can see what the problem is. You could post a couple pics of your guitar up on this BBS and we more than likely could help you.

It is very difficult to know what the problem is with out you being more specific.
Does the guitar have a tremolo system (like a whammy bar) ?

The not being in tune 15 min after tuning is probably your strings stretching, nothing to worry about, just keep re- tuneing them.

Back