My Girl Like Motown

JerryD

I wrote this today and recorded. I was trying to get Motown sound. How can I fix this?I

Background info Below

I'm using Reaper and It has five tracks with no effects at all except on the main.

1st Track is vocals and acoustic.
2nd 3rd are bass
4th is Rhythm electric
5th is Lead electric

The effects on the main are ambience reverb and Rxcomp from reaper. That's it.

You've got a great voice and you sing with a lot of personality. Very cool.

The mix sounds pretty good, but I'd love to hear drums on this.

I LOVE the tune.

Hey Jerry. It's a cool song and I really like the vocals.

I think it's a little loose rhythmically overall. Perhaps percussion would tighten that up some.

The guitars are a little muddy sounding to me and the lead electric is a little too loud. Also, it kinda sounds like the lead guitar is slightly out of tune maybe? Flat a little I think.

I don't mean to sound too negative. It's a well conceived song and I think the vocal performance and capture is really good.

No problem. I appreciate the critique. I wrote that today and some of it while I was playing it. So I meant to re-record and rewrite before I started.
But next time with drums. I noticed that lead is too loud is well. I'm not sure why I don't notice things like that the first time. Thanks for you help. Hopefully it will be better next go round. Thanks again.

Sounds good vocally.

I just read up on Motown sound.

According to Wiki, you need more melisma and tambourines to accent the back beat. Oh and prominent and often melodic electric bass-guitar lines, distinctive melodic and chord structures, and a call-and-response singing style that originated in gospel music.

Drums too.

But seriously, this is good. Reminds me of Otis Redding for some reason.

Mix is not bad at all but for me, the timing issues are annoying (IMO) and take away for the the song . Motown (i.e., the Funk Brothers) were pure groove. :listeningmusic: and becasue of the loose timing I'm not sure adding drums will be that easy or help keep the gove in the pocket. I would recommend fixing the timing issues first before adding drums. The vocal is pretty nice but could use a bit of pitch correction in spots.

The song is good and is deffinately worth the effort to fix the playing issues. :thumbs up:

Back