My GC Mic Auditions (AT4040, Baby Bottle, etc)

TheOneTrueMatt

I thought since I've posted a few "Which mic should I buy" thread that maybe I'd attempt to give something back by writing about my experience auditioning some mics at GC. Of course these are my experiences with my ears and my voice, so ymmv.

First of all, the Guitar Center in Brookfield, WI (just openned) is FANTASTIC. Their sale staff is top notch and the guy who helped me, I think he was head of the keyboard department, did not hesitate to help set me up to audition mics on a busy Saturday afternoon. I almost wish I didn't get a discount through my local Madison music store so I could just buy everything there (I did make a purchase that day, just not a mic).

So I wanted to try out everything they had that was vaguely in my price range, with special interest in the AT4040 and BLUE Baby Bottle. They also had a Groove Tubes FET model (the $299 one, maybe GT33) so I tried that out too in my initial test (heard good things here).

All of these were run through a digital mixer and straight into headphones.

First off, I didn't like the Groove Tubes mic. On the higher stuff I sang (I tried my complete range, including a fairly high metal head voice) sounded kind of harsh, maybe a bit brittle, but basically unpleasant. This is something I was trying to make sure the mic could deal with so I didn't spend a lot more time on that one.

I found the AT4040 to be very neutral, and fairly smooth. It sounded good through my complete range. The only problem I had was that I kept having to check if I was still plugged into it, bringing the fader up or moving closer and testing that I was still getting a signal. Then I realized it wasn't 'cause the mic was quiet, it was because it sounded so neutral that what I was hearing in the headphones (nothing too incredible so probably not very isolating) was blending with what I was hearing through the mic. But it still sounded good to me when I could pick it out, and smooth on the high end stuff.

Finally the Baby Bottle. I've been dying to try this mic out for awhile now and the results were very interesting, though not completely surprising from what I've read. VERY hot sonics, as has been said before. Really smooth and handled the high stuff well, but it had something odd going on in the midrange. I don't know if the midrange was pronounced or just had an odd color to it, but whatever it was, it sounded really good at some times, and other times like it might not fit what I was trying to do vocally. It also gave the vocals a lot of presence, though I can't say for sure that would be the same effect in a mix. For $499 its not one I'd get right now, but eventually I'd like to have one as I imagine on certain songs/vocals that sound would be exactly what I need, plus I've heard its great on instruments/cabs, etc.

I was about ready to go but the guy insisted I try a couple more and brought out the Shure KSM32 and AKG C3000B. He thought the AKG might be "the one you're looking for" but well, I thought it sounded awful. The guy was a great salesman but maybe he doesn't have great taste in mics (or maybe it works for him, I dunno).

The proximity effect seemed to be massively boosted, or maybe it just had way too much bass, seemed like it was all high and low, no midrange and I just couldn't stand to sing through it for very long. I'd passed one of those up a few years ago when I bought my Behringer B2 (yeah, my ears and voice have gotten a lot better which is why I'm shopping for new mics). The Shure KSM32 Didn't do anything special for me, didn't really compliment my voice but I didn't have any particular impressions about it other than that. The guy was still incredibly nice and helpful even when I was saying I was not buying a microphone that day (I did buy a "cheap" Alesis reverb unit to use for vocal monitoring) and even suggested I come back if I want to try more and that he'd be happy to show me what a $3,000 mic sounds like (I imagine he was talking about the Neumann U87 they had there, and boy was I tempted, though I think it might be more practical to try out the TLM103 if I go back).

So that's all. Hope this is amusing or helpful to someone or whatever.

Presently I'm very tempted to get the AT4040, though I'm also still curious about the SP C3. The guy at work suggested I might be able to take the C3 home for a night to try out so I'm thinking about doing that and then either getting the C3 or 4040, though I imagine both would be useful and somewhat complimentary, so its really what sounds best for my current project (and I want a Baby Bottle eventually too).

As of this writing, my only LDC is the AT4040. Very tasty mic, and a keeper for me.

I'd like to find something similar in quality, but with a good difference in tone. I'm thinking about an AT4047/SV, but haven't heard one yet. I don't want something subtlely different, but noticeably different.

Matt, I am from Wisconsin as well (local band = Plumb Loco)
Don't forget to audition dynamic mics in your quest
re 20, senn 441 or shure sm7b would all be in that ballpark
I live in Wales and if you ever want to audition these or a baby bottle or any of the rest of my stable of $500 or less mics, you can pick them up anytime
In His Name
Big Kenny

Wow, 2 year bump from the past!

By the way, try the Bluebird vs the Baby Bottle and for $100 less I think you may find...it's more all purpose!

War

My impressions of the Baby Bottle were the same as yours. Something in the midrange was killing me on vox tracks. I couldn't figure out what didn't sound right for the longest time, figured it couldn't be the mic but it was. I actually bought a groove tubes mic to replace the baby bottle and have been much happier ever since. I'm sure the baby bottle has certain things about it that work but I never really found one. Very disappointed.

It's a good post to resurrect.

My thoughts on the mics mentioned have always been pretty much the same. GT has always been kind of harsh ... the 4040 is more clear, clean, mildly bright, etc. And the ksm32 is just very neutral to my ears.

I've never been to a Guitar Center. Do they let
you bring your own headphones? I think this would
be the way to go.

Brackish said:
I've never been to a Guitar Center. Do they let
you bring your own headphones? I think this would
be the way to go.

No. They check your headphones at the door along with your coat. Park across the street or something because Guitar Center's valet parking sucks.

I did the same thing at Guitar Center. I tried the AKG C3000B, Shure KSM27, and the Audio-Technica AT4040. Tested all three on a mackie onyx mixer. Acoustically treated "studio room". Three stands. Three channels. Two muted, one mic at a time. Trim and Volume settings identical on all channels. Eq the same on all three. I felt the AKG and Audio-Technica were close, but the Audio-Technica was clearer, more transparent than the AKG. The Shure sounded like a dynamic mic, directional, muffled. All three mics were $300, I came home with AT4040.

Back