My Freaky Lawyer

TripleM

A new tune from me. RAMI did the drums. Please let me know what you think.

New Mix

I retracked the vocal in the intro and I did some editing with the vocals in the choruses (copying good lines from one over bad lines in the other). I raised the overheads a db or so.

Last edited:
The verse vocals are a little hard to understand, think you could back off the doubled guitar a little bit, then bring it back up for the 'prechorus' parts (where the BU vox do the 'oohs') The vocals are more discernible during the choruses, not just because of the BU vox. The lead vocal sounds dry to me in the verses, in the chorus it works to define it from the BU. vox.

Man, drop it down a half step or two! My voice hurts just listening to you on the edge of being in tune! hahaha kidding aside, sounds good man. Agree some words are hard to understand but maybe a few more listens I could get it. Guitars sound really good. Bass seems strong and consistent/level.

You may want to go to programmed drums because they would sound 100X better than what you have....haha sorry RAMI....they sound really good. Its a fun song that is catchy. Great job man.

Actually I think that the vocal would benefit from dropping the key a whole step, the intro really sounds strained, and you've got that key change at the end to contend with. You've got a great voice, but everybody has a range :)

Really fun song though. Love the guitar tone, and that's a great Canadian drummer you've got there. I'd hold on to him if I were you.

Who is this RAMI person, and how do I get him to do my drums? :D It's funny, Rami is an internet name I've used for years--derived from my initials. It also happens to be the name I use on my current Soundcloud. I am no relation to the impersonator who frequents this forum.

I liked this song. I wanted to hear the lyrics as well. You're well outside your vocal range...but I think it works. It reinforces the kind of punk/pop vibe of the tune. I'm not sure it would sound as edgy if you were singing in your comfort zone. Man, you hit those high notes by sheer force of personality!

HA! You fucker. You put this up without telling me. I just noticed it now. I agree with Robus about your voice. it does sound like you're singing at the top of your range, but I think it works. My testicles hurt, though.

Who is this RAMI person, and how do I get him to do my drums? :D It's funny, Rami is an internet name I've used for years--derived from my initials. It also happens to be the name I use on my current Soundcloud. I am no relation to the impersonator who frequents this forum.
That's pretty cool. Rami is my actual first name. It's not short for anything. It's long for "Ra". :D

You may want to go to programmed drums because they would sound 100X better than what you have....haha sorry RAMI....they sound really good.
HEE! You funny. :D

He did a pretty good job mixing them. I only sent him the raw, individual tracks. Most of the time, when I do drums for someone, I prefer to mix them myself and then send them the 2-track of my drum mix, because people usually mix my drums like shit. This is good, though. I can live with this. I'd like the drums a little louder, but that's just my totally biased opinion. :)

Just a quick drop by for now. Dang RAMI I forgot to PM you. Mucho sorry. I was in a hurry last night when I put this up. Later when I laid down in bed it hit me. All I could do was say "oh crap" and pick up the pieces in the morning.

Just a quick drop by for now. Dang RAMI I forgot to PM you. Mucho sorry. I was in a hurry last night when I put this up. Later when I laid down in bed it hit me. All I could do was say "oh crap" and pick up the pieces in the morning.
Nah, it's all good. It's your tune, man. :cool:

OK got some time to respond.

mjb/bruthish/tadpui/Robus - thank you guys (your reponses were much the same). I didn't have any trouble hearing the vox in the verses, but that's no surprise. I'll do a fader ride on the guits in the verses. It's REALLY hard to sing.

RAMI - thank you a bunch for drumming on this. Let me know what you'd like to do with the drums mixwise. I thought they sounded pretty dang good myself. Just notes/comparisons with other drummers... Your overheads have a wider spread that any other's I've worked with (I'm surprised nobody pointed how wide the cymbals are). Your kick required less EQ than any I've worked with. I removed some low-mid flub like you always have to do with a kick. But not a whole lot. I wanted more snap in the snare. So in addition to a boost at 5K I sent it to an exiter. Do you gate your toms? I thought I heard a gate.

RAMI - thank you a bunch for drumming on this.
My pleasure, man. I enjoyed it immensely. (I've got to get around to a drum track for Broken H. I keep telling him "this weekend" and other shit keeps coming up).

Let me know what you'd like to do with the drums mixwise. I thought they sounded pretty dang good myself.
Me too. I think you did a great job mixing them.

Your overheads have a wider spread that any other's I've worked with (I'm surprised nobody pointed how wide the cymbals are).
Don't worry. MJB will mention it if he sees this thread. :D

Your kick required less EQ than any I've worked with.
Yeah, I love my kik sound. I rarely have to do anything more than what you mentioned.

I wanted more snap in the snare. So in addition to a boost at 5K I sent it to an exiter.
Great. I'm still not happy with my recorded snare sound. There's no excuse for it. I bought a brand new Ludwig Supraphonic a few months ago. It shoud sound great, but I'm still working on it.

Do you gate your toms? I thought I heard a gate.
No, no gate. but I go through my toms tracks and manually delete anything but the tom hits. So, I guess it's a gate, but it's a manual gate.

You've got a cool ska punk kinda of tone in your voice, sounds great. The drum performance is excellent, but I think the snare could do with a bit more snap. Guitar sound great in the mix.

Acoustic sounds good. You did well to hit those notes at the beginning, I'd be struggling! Backing vocals are good, double tracked vocals sound perfect.

Great tune guys!

A cool song.

Thanks Mr. London.

That acoustic guitar..... I bought it used 15 years ago for like $120. It's one of those bottom-of-the-barrel Ovations. I use it mostly as a practice guitar. But with some decent micing and EQ, it didn't come out horrible.

It sounds great, much better than I could capture from mine. It also cost me about £120. I keep meaning to get a new one but my passion lies with electrics. :)

I actually agree with RAMI on the drums needing to come up a tic.

This does sound way out of your range. Maybe a couple passages where it doesn't sound like you're going to hurt yourself for dynamics would be good.

Kind of a cool lo-fi indie punk thing overall tho.

Back