My first try !

huGODemon

Hey all !

I just finished mixing my first digital song !
I'd be more than happy to have your comments and suggestions about it.

I work with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.02 and CoolEdit. Here's the gear I used:

Soundcard: Guillemot maxistudio ISIS
puter: P3-450@558Mhz
Acoustic guitar: Seagull S6
Electric guitar: Jackson DR-3
Amp: Crate DX112
Mic (Vocal and acoustic guitar): AKG-C535EB
Mic (Electric guitar): Shure SM-57
Preamp: Joemeek ProChannel VC3
Other instruments: Roland 4Mb GM bank - Jazz drum kit
Input Keyboard: Muh trusty Ensoniq ESQ-1 :)

This mix is far from perfect. It seems to me that the vocals are a bit "out of the mix" but for a first try I'm pretty satisfied. I hope you guys can help me improve my mixing/recording skills :)

The performance is also a little muddy... but I wanted my first MP3 soooo badddd :)

Thanks to you all !

http://www.mp3.com/hugo

[This message has been edited by huGODemon (edited 02-29-2000).]

Yo Bro, first off liked the tune..havent any good monitors yet so cant say much about the mix, but from what I hear if everything else sounded half as good as the vocals do it would be a very good mix, but thats just my deaf ears man, again liked the tune though.

Thanks David !

It's funny how the fact that I don't like my voice always makes me think that it IS the problem... I'm sure I'm not the one on my boat :)

COME ON GUYS ! :(
Give me some input ! Damn, I had 2 pages full of replies on a gaming BBS... I can't beleive you guys don't have any pro advice for me ! ...

I see what you mean about your vocals. It almost sounds like a Clinton impersonator. Perhaps if you brought it down in the mix a little and add just a touch move verb to smooth it out. The guitar needs to be brought up, especially the lead.

Overall... nice tune. If you could adjust those two tracks, I think it would be a bit more balanced.

[This message has been edited by Fishmed (edited 03-02-2000).]

I liked it. At first I thought hmmm, you're so......drumless. But then it kicked in! MP3.com was cutting out on me...tried 3 times to hear the whole thing...so I don't know if you did or not, but I wanted to hear your voice kinda screaming...you've got a strong voice and I think a bit of yell/scream would add a lot in some places...otherwise didn't mind your voice at all...mix-wise (this is just me) I'm into hearing a little more bottom...good song...gibs

Fishmed: Clinton ! :o Hehehe, thank's for your time man !

Gibs: Wow thank's dude. The lead vocal part is a one-take. I've been a bit lazy but you know how it is when you got new toys to play with :) You're right. The voice misses emotion, especially when the drum/electric/bass kick in. Thanks !

One of our local radio station does parity songs. They did one or two "Bill Clinton" songs, your song just reminded me of those tunes.

Yeah man,
I'm with gibs, Once the drums kick in double the vox with a raspy scream or something at the octave. some of the cymbal craches are a bit harsh too, but aside from that it sounds really good. I particularly like the layering of elec. acoustic. and the synth and piano. they give it a brooding quality. It has some kind of an axe murdering husband sound, cool.

Back