My first try of home recording

Simspajt

Hi to all members of this outstanding forum for home recording.
I'm new here but i actually read and listen a lot of excellent work here, read many off very usefull posts.
I'm from Slovenia soo sorry for my bad english, i'm trying.

I tried to record somethig on my computer and had a lot of troubles to do it and findig the right vst plugins that fit to me for quick recording my demos. My main task is just to record demo tapes for my band when i work for a new song but i woud like that it sound as good as it can. So that my playmates will fall on their as*:D
I have Lenovo,Nuendo4,EZdrummer2,digitech rp255,EZkeys,EZmix and for master i use either Ozone5 or EZmix.
I record guitars and even a bass guitar with Gibson SG since i don't have a bass guitar. I know thats not a good idea but thats how it is right now. I know i can't do some pro recordings but i would like have your opinions and advice on how to squezze most of this gear that i use. I will be really thankfull for any coment.
Here is my first atemp, not really a song, just attemp.
Thanks in advance and salute you all. Simspajt

Attachments

• SIM OKTOBER 2014.mp3
    4.6 MB · Views: 51
For a first attempt, this is really, REALLY good. The only thing I really noticed (and this is very minor) is when the heavy guitar cuts in at the beginning of the second "verse." There is a click because the edit was done at a point that wasn't zero crossing. You can either zoom in and cut it at a point where the waveform is at its nil point (in the center - not heading up or down) OR (and this would be an easier method) put a little fade at the beginning of the track (a very small fade) to eliminate the click. Other than that, it's very nicely done. Great job! :thumbs up:

Also, there's no need to apologize for your English. I've seen Americans on here with clumsier spelling and grammar. :)

Last edited:
Hi mr.Propman.
I'm very glad that you like it and thank you a lot for advice about fade in. It's my bad work because i finished this project in couple of hours. I should be more carefull and precised with cuting, mixing and experimenting to get beter sound and beter master. Its my bad habit. I must be more fokused in details.I know i must learn a lot of things and i see that this excellent forum and good people like you will help me a lot!!! Thank you again for your time and i wish you all the best.
Simspajt

There is some low mid build up going on throughout the song. It's all a bit muddy.

I'd say that those are amp sim tones since they sound very harsh.

Interesting idea at around 2:30 to constantly fade out the rhythm as it tried to get back in. I liked that. (The part with the double bass afterwards has very noticeable low end mud)

Good effort.

Yes, it's muddy all the time, i totally agree with you. When i finished my so called mix and master i didn't compare it with another source off music that i like. But when i did i realised that i'm not satisfied with my try at all. Ok, it's my first try. I don't know how to do a decent mix master yet and i used only cheap headphones cause i don't have monitors yet. EQ,compresors etc is still mystery to me. Still a lot to learn. I'm working on new project now and my main goal is to get clean, no muddy sound.
Thank you very much for reply.

I will be really thankfull for any coment.

Good for a first attempt.

The left and right guitars sound a bit thin and harsh. It's really apparent when they're playing solo. How did you EQ them?

That's a really good bass sound. :)

At 2.27 the drums suddenly sound all distant. They're so upfront for the other parts that it sounds strange. Similarly, the two guitars that solo for a while after the drum solo are also too quiet and distant. Turn 'em up.

Good rocker.

I didn't use any EQ since i did all with headphones, i don't have monitors yet. Also i have to learn to do a decent mix. I just did som panning, level matching and used some presets from EZMix and Ozone. Yeah, i like the bass specially cause i done it with Gibson SG ele. guitar.
Thank you Dobro!

Great Effort.

Do you plan to have vocal?
No, it was just a test. Closed story here. Now i'm ocupate with some theather audio project witch i must finish in two weeks. Some theather play for two, three months and then i'll start to record my demo pieces for my rock'n roll band... We used to be an AC/DC and Motorhead tribute band for nearly 20 years here in Slovenia and all around. Now it's time to do some our stuff with great influece of already mentioned bads, offcourse.
Greatings from rainy Slovenia.

Greetings from Sydney, which was a bit rainy this afternoon, but is more often hotter than usual because of Climate Change...

Yes excellent for a first attempt. Very good playing.

I thought the rhythm guitars were a bit thin and a little fizzy sounding. They might be appropriate for this genre. But I prefer something with a little less high end sizzle. Maybe back off the gain and treble/presence if you like.

Low end sounds well balanced to me.

Snare could use a little more snap/attack. Just a bit.

Overall I think this is very good.

Back