My first track - jazzy/rockish/fusion

Really good for a first track.

The composition was enjoyable and the mix was quite good. I could nitpick it but i see no reason too. I'd be happy with this if it was my own mix. Great job, keep it up.

Thank you Ex3vious! It's great to hear that from an experienced producer.
I uploaded a new version with some minor fixes mainly in velocities and drum fills.

Thanks Fllavix, I'm not sure I'd consider myself an experienced producer but I'll take any compliment I can get haha.

It's really good but I do hear a low frequency buildup that sounds like an acoustics problem in the mix space. Here's an eq setting that made it sound better to me.

When the index eq.JPG

Thanks Fllavix, I'm not sure I'd consider myself an experienced producer but I'll take any compliment I can get haha.

well I saw you produced a few dozens of jam tracks which I find pretty awesome, especially given the wide range of genres :)

Thank you very much! I have to give it a try. In fact I didn't add anything to the mix save for a tiny bit of limiter.

I wouldn't put that on the whole mix, I'd find the things in the mix that are contributing to that buildup. The problem is that you may be fighting the acoustics of your mix space, not able to hear those frequencies properly making you compensate by mixing them too loud. You can deal with this by checking your mixes on other playback systems but that's a slow and imperfect solution. Fixing the acoustics of the room will let you go more directly to the right amount of LF without having to check elsewhere.

It sounds pretty good. The piano thingy on the left is a bit loud and sounds dry/upfront. All the instruments sound very close to the same levels. Focus on what you think is the most important instrument and put it center stage, let the others support it. It's a bit chaotic b/c they're all fighting to be center stage and loudest. It sounds too loud/compressed, too, lacking dynamics. Try to get quiet/louder parts for contrast.

thanks, I have about a hundred jam tracks on my youtube channel. Thats one way I like to practice recording and mixing is by making backing tracks.

Getting back to your mix, I'm hearing the extra low end that the other users have mentioned. It could be coming from the piano, maybe use a hi pass filter on the piano. Solo the piano with and without he hi pass filter and if you hear a bunch of noise when the filter is not on then you know you need the filter.

Solo the piano with and without he hi pass filter and if you hear a bunch of noise when the filter is not on then you know you need the filter.

The acoustics of his space seem to be preventing him from hearing those frequencies correctly. Soloing may not make a difference.

Thanks Nola! I also felt the piano rhythm might be a bit too loud or played with too high a velocity but that might just be the result of me being more of a drummer than a pianist if you know what I mean :)) I'm planing/dreaming of finding a real piano player to re-record it. But first I will try to get into a studio to track some real drums.

About the extra low end I really appreciate the feedback and will definitely do another mixing session after I buy a pair of of professional headphones (you don't want to know what I'm using now).

@bouldersoundguy - yes it's mostly 11/8, or 5/8 + 6/8 if you prefer.

Real cool song. I'd bring down the low end a bit, I think boulder covered that. And maybe bring up the volume on the little accents, sort of shine a light on them, they're nice. The piano sounds good, is it a virtual instrument?

I thought the composition was very interesting. Not my musical thing. But it was very creative.

The piano sounds are a little too electronic for this type of music. A more natural piano sound would be nicer.

The snare is a little weak and slappy.

The bass has too much low end and mud. I think this mix would sound better with a lighter bass.

@easlern - Which accents do you mean specifically when you talk about bringing them up?
The piano sound is the grand from EZkeys.

All right, so eventually I had another go at the mix and tried to get rind of that mud some of you pointed out. I do think it sounds a lot more clear now, so if you feel like, pls have anoter listen.

Back