My First Teacher - No comment necessary... just a tribute thread. :)

XLR

______
My first gtr teacher was John Griggs. I was 5. The main thing I remember about him was that he was very kind. Though I don't use them in my own teaching I occasionally play through the beginning duets in the method book he taught me from, the Sophocles Papas Classical Guitar Method, as a way to remember those times. I usually just erase the tracks after listening back once but here's today's version , unedited.

Don't listen to this unless you like simple music oriented towards a 5 yr old. :D And a warning... it's a big file. 15 minutes, 20 MB. 15 minutes of being a 5 yr old. :D

BTW, I'm on the left in this, and my poor imitation of my teacher is on the right.

Last edited:
That is an endearing tribute to your teacher, Tim.

I began taking drum lessons when I was in the 5th grade (1959 :eek: ) for 4 years with Ronnie Gardner, a black jazz drummer, and considered to be at that time one of the top 15 drummers in the U.S. My tutelage ended because he moved to Sweden and opened a jazz club. I came to learn that he played for the Queen of England on one or two occassions.

Fond memories.

Listening while I read other stuff....pretty fun Tim. It might be simple to you, but it sounds really clean. I can enjoy this....and I'm 43.... :D

Sounds good. Wish I had a guitar teacher. :(

Really sounds like 2 different people playing. :p Sounds like a live setting too which is cool, not really sure how you did that but cool. :cool:

Timothy Lawler said:
Different mix of close and room mikes on each. MSH close, KEL HM1 far.

Nice. I looked up the KEL HM-1 and it looks good. The sound clips sounded pretty good too. I need to get a cardiod mic.

Any reason you used the MSH to mic the guitar and a cardiod for a room mic? And how does the KEL compare to the MSH? Just curious.

Anyway, nice recording Tim. All your stuff always sounds so clear and detailed.

danny.guitar said:
Any reason you used the MSH to mic the guitar and a cardiod for a room mic?
The MSH has very smooth transient detail, to my ear anyway, and no proximity effect since it's omni. That's why I used it as the close mike. I used it closer than I usually do... about a foot away. I've been surprised at how good the HM-1 is at room miking. It was positioned about 4 ft away, next to an Auralex panel on the wall functioning almost like a boundary mike.

Hi Tim

Nice playing and recording. At one point the music stop, I was wondering what was going on and then I realized that I've been listening to your clip for 15 minutes.

Nice idea.

/Jack Real.

Reactions: XLR
Timothy Lawler said:
My first gtr teacher was John Griggs. I was 5. The main thing I remember about him was that he was very kind. Though I don't use them in my own teaching I occasionally play through the beginning duets in the method book he taught me from, the Sophocles Papas Classical Guitar Method, as a way to remember those times. I usually just erase the tracks after listening back once but here's today's version , unedited.

Don't listen to this unless you like simple music oriented towards a 5 yr old. :D And a warning... it's a big file. 15 minutes, 20 MB. 15 minutes of being a 5 yr old. :D

BTW, I'm on the left in this, and my poor imitation of my teacher is on the right.
Amazing how much sentiment you were able to evoke from such a simple piece. I could amlost smell the reams of old staff paper binders and books of a lesson studio.

I LOVE the tone you're able to get so effortlessly.

Really sweet tribute, man.

Back