My first song to get radio play

cloudchamber

This song has been spinning 5-7 times a day on our local radio station. It even made it on the hot nine at nine--the nine most requested songs of the day (it only hit number nine...but STILL). Normally I would have never given anything to a radio station without posting it here first, but first my webpage was down and then the bbs was having difficulties. So...I'm hoping you guys will like it, because its a little too late to change anything.

Here's what I think you should pay attention to:

1.Vocal mixing
*I got a new mic (c1) what do you think?
2.Vocal performance
*Are there noticeable mistakes I should have edited out?
3.Reverb/Ambience
*Is there too much? I used Timeworks Reverb X.
4.Mastering (Pseudo-Mastering, actually)
*Is it over-compressed? I used Ozone.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Matt

Not my type of music, really - but I liked it. Through my crappy $12 PC speakers it sounded great. I don't think there's a thing wrong with the reverb or the mastering. Everything comes thru clear and you still have dynamics. I might push the background vocs back a bit. Again, not my genre, but I found the vocal harmony to be a bit crunchy in spots - not wrong I don't think, but sometimes subduing them a bit smooths things out.
Good Job.

Hi Matt,

Sounds pretty damn good on the cans. I don't really listen to this kind of music, but the mix is great. The bass sounds a little distorted, but it may be because I'm using Hi-Fi stream.
Vocals sound awsome.
I can definitly hear it on the radio. Keep 'em coming!

Oren

the music is nice. I can hear it on the radio.

The vocal chain once again reminds me of the preamps on a roland vs1680. QUite scratchy. What preamp are you using? Also , what converters.

The network cut me off so I was not able to hear it all, but this is what I heard from the first 20 seconds. Nice instu though

Funk on!

Yikes!! I can't deal with this genre...but the recording/ performance seemed close to the money. Good job. Maybe a tad heavy with the synth bass.

serious bass... This was pretty interesting for this genre. It didnt sound like everything else.. I'm not sure if that bass would be too much on some systems, but I like it..

I think this was good for this style... though I know nothing about this style..:D

later

B

Hey cloud....
Great job. Im not very well versed in this type of music either, but i enjoyed the song. Im considering a C-1 myself, so it was interesting hearing your vocals. I too, would be interested in knowing what kind of Pre you are using. The only complaints that i can muster up are ...1- the kickdrum sounded a bit thin to me..... maybe a little high in pitch. I guess im hearing more of a deep round kick. ....and 2- the bass was almost nonexistant on my cheap computer speakers. .....but thats my fault. Very cool, keep it up. Mike:)

The vocals

I'm being overly critical here because it is a pretty solid mix. But you wanted specific opinions on a couple of points...

I didn't notice any glaring vocal mistakes. There may have been a sync issue near the begining when they come in on the word "Enjoy." But I had to listen real close to it.

I thought the reverb has a bit too long of a decay, especially on the low frequencies. But that's probably just a matter of opinion - I'm sure many people would like it just the way it is.

I thought compression was fine everywhere except for the improvised higher vocal part. I thought it should have come out a bit stronger.

Congrats on getting airplay.

Thank you everyone for all your comments. So, basically, most people like the recording...but dont like the song. I'm okay with that--the song was never my favorite.

Cyan Jaguar, you hit the nail on the head (as usual). You pegged the weakest point in my vocal chain. Everything I'm using is starting to get real good...except for my pre-amp. Its a cheap ass audio buddy. I'm stuck with it for now, though--which is okay--I'm still glowing from my C1 purchase.

peace

man, o man,

with the talent you have in there and the hot instrumentals to boot, a vocal chain that has maybe a joemeek vc1q in it and an at 3035 mic will be absolutely killer. Maybe upgrade the converters then we are talking world class

Congrats!

Congratulations on getting airplay with your tune.

I, too, am not too versed in this genre but from what I can hear it sounds good. I thought the mix was good and the overall sound was good.

I liked your vocals and felt the song moved along very well. Good job!

Back