My First Single. Opinions & Tips Please!

ZiZO

Hi guys,
My first single is here: soundcloud.com/boomaofficial

Please give it a listen and tell me what I did well and what I need to work on. Any opinions or tips?!

Thanks

ZiZO

It had a cool feel. The sounds of the rhythm section were creative.

The vocal effect was good for this type of song. The issue you're running into is you have lots of effects on lots of things. you have lots of parts with lots of instruments. It turns the mix into a mash of tracks.

If it were me, I'd keep the rhythm tracks. I'd keep the vocal effects, but back off of them. I'd pick through some of the other tracks - say one guitar part and two keyboard/synth tracks and make a mix from that.

I thought the tune was really interesting and the vibe was cool.

Thanks a lot. Yeah, it does get too much sometimes. I've written and recorded 2 EP's worth of music and I'm facing the same problem with almost every track. There's too much tracks at one point or the other. And for some reason the mix in my monitors sounds perfect, but then when I bounce it from Pro Tools it sounds different! :wtf: any idea why?!

I enjoyed this , especially the rhythm, what did you record it on? Alex

Thanks mate. I use Pro Tools LE, and my plugins are from Pro Tools & Native Instruments Komplete 8. The guitar effects are from Guitar Rig 5 which comes with Komplete! Cheers! :D

Wow, I really thought I'd get more help than just 2 replies on this forum :S

What more help do you need? You were given a very comprehensive summary and equally comprehensive advice on what to do to improve it.
Move on, make the changes and then maybe come back again and get further feedback :)

....in addition, having just listened to your sample, I think the music is fantastic. However....and this is only my non-professional opinion....the vocal seems to be in the background. If it had more presence, I would be playing that song all day when I was driving!

Regards.

hahaha, shweeeeeet, I will try to bring the vocals to the front, thank you very much :D :thumbs up:

I agree with WFVoiceover, bring the vocals up front instead of in a retro cave with a megaphone :) but thats still good. you should try to automate some of the vocal parts in so that it sounds like that on some key phrases or overlays.

Certainly an ambitious track. Parts really gelled, but there were a few spots where I felt like the timing was a bit loose. Needs to be tighter (easier said than done, as I well know :) . Good job for your first track.

Just a side issue here, if you are posting a recording from soundcloud you can use the following

[ SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/boomaofficial/clean[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Remove the space after the first square bracket and it will display like this:

Back